The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Periodic OW 5.6 Inquiry Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Mmmhhh... I wonder if maybe Omni is working on OmniWeb for Windows?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by philby
Mmmhhh... I wonder if maybe Omni is working on OmniWeb for Windows?
Probably not, but it does seem like Safari has just acquired a lot of the functionality that I use OmniWeb for. I guess my question is how much of the tab rearrangement code is part of Safari itself and how much is is WebKit.

For me, OmniWeb is becoming increasingly unusable on my PowerBook G4 -- I may have a pathological usage case, but I find that the app swaps a lot and becomes agonizingly slow. I will be replacing this machine very soon, but experiments on a new MacBook last week were showing many of the same bad behaviors.

I hope that Omni will update OmniWeb and get things working well again, but if not, I feel like I've more than gotten my money's worth over the years I've used it.
 
Hello Omni people? Any news? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaasssse?
 
What I want to know, besides when we get OW 5.6, is if it using the same WebKit version as Safari 3, or is it using an older or newer version?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict4Life
What I want to know, besides when we get OW 5.6, is if it using the same WebKit version as Safari 3, or is it using an older or newer version?
We're currently working with a version of WebKit that is based off of revision 22076 from around june 8th. The Safari beta uses a custom version of WebKit as well and looks like the latest one tagged as Safari-522.12.1b was done so on June 13th so it's probably from a revision around that time as well. They appear to be merging custom changes in like we do so the nightlies and the 3.0 beta will probably diverge a bit.

We hope to get a beta of OmniWeb 5.6 out soon. Sorry for the wait everyone.
 
Thanks for the update. The ONE feature that I really like about Safar3 is support (finally) for WYSIWYG editors like TinyMCE.

Then I can keep FF relegated to deep website development chores since the most useful plugin (I wish there were a OW/S3 equivalent) I have is Firebug. It has really freed up web site development time for me.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
We hope to get a beta of OmniWeb 5.6 out soon. Sorry for the wait everyone.
Finally. Harrummphh.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
We're currently working with a version of WebKit that is based off of revision 22076 from around june 8th. The Safari beta uses a custom version of WebKit as well and looks like the latest one tagged as Safari-522.12.1b was done so on June 13th so it's probably from a revision around that time as well. They appear to be merging custom changes in like we do so the nightlies and the 3.0 beta will probably diverge a bit.

We hope to get a beta of OmniWeb 5.6 out soon. Sorry for the wait everyone.
Don't hurry on same webkit as Safari 3 beta, I didn't like what I hear from Windows version.

Yes, those 10 security issues in 3 hours really made me question whether it was a quick and dirty compile just to show something at WWDC.

I know they are Windows issues but how can we get true info/true critism/true security check of OS X version?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebJIVE
Thanks for the update. The ONE feature that I really like about Safar3 is support (finally) for WYSIWYG editors like TinyMCE.

Then I can keep FF relegated to deep website development chores since the most useful plugin (I wish there were a OW/S3 equivalent) I have is Firebug. It has really freed up web site development time for me.
The new (as in webkit nightlies, not safari 3 beta) safari inspector is easily on par with firebug.
 
Quote:
The new (as in webkit nightlies, not safari 3 beta) safari inspector is easily on par with firebug.
Agreed. It's also way better than anything in OW.

Between this and new features like the resizable text areas, OW is falling further behind by the week.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Periodic "Cannot overwrite file" messages. [Fix scheduled for v1.10] molat OmniFocus 1 for Mac 5 2012-03-05 12:02 PM
Problem with periodic task (spanish version) bushi OmniFocus 1 for Mac 5 2011-01-23 03:39 PM
Student Inquiry coastertux OmniOutliner 3 for Mac 2 2006-09-25 09:14 PM
Student Inquiry coastertux OmniGraffle General 2 2006-09-06 02:42 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.