The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OO Pro 4.0? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like for OOP4 to sport an audio recording feature like that found in Circus Ponies NoteBook 2.1. In NoteBook, one can turn on the recording feature at the beginning of an outlining session (say, at the beginning of a lecture) and record continuous audio, with each entry in the outline establishing a marker in the audio recording. Click on the audio icon next to any outline entry made in the recorded session and the audio will play from a few seconds before the point at which the outline entry was made.

amarcou

I second that. That's a great feature of CircusPonies Notebook. However, their implementation leaves much to be desired. Whenever I start recording on my laptop, it pegs the cpu, ramping up the fans and draining the battery. It's so bad on my MacBook that I can't even use it in class. I switched from OO to CP Notebook for taking notes in class just because of this feature, but since it doesn't work, I'm coming back to OO. I would love it if the Omni folks could add this feature.

Has anyone also mentioned the ability to lock a given row? If I had my way, it would be a feature that is configurable to either lock\unlock a row upon creation and then a toggle button or check-box to change the setting.

I would tend to use this in the enabled mode and then go back to unlock those rows I need to modify.

I would also think the locking mechanism would apply to the notes for a given row.

Hope others find this useful so it makes the list for OO4.

Speaking of v4 - is there any idea - even rough - in terms of timeline? Surely you guys have a roadmap?

Aleding,

Just out of curiousity, why could you use the ability to lock certain rows? I assume you mean to "lock out" editing on a row.

Rather than .mac syncing, I would rather see a web app version. I hate being at work, thinking of something that I want to add to a file at home and having to wait til I get home to do it since we use PCs at work. Even if the online web app only included some of the editing capabilities of OO, that would be a great addition.

Styles still need a bit of work. Why can't I drag a style from the inspector's top box for the line specific styles down to the row style below and have it added to the style for that row level?

langUtah,

I would use this basically a a safety feature. I have often times deleted rows of content due to mistake of key strokes and having a locked row feature would help prevent this from happening. I store a lot of key information in the OO3 files I have some wiping out several rows in the blink of an eye is not a good thing.

I had read over a year ago that several others had asked for this and another outlining app has it already (TAO) - just need to get it in here...

maybe a sync to Google Notebook feature ...

Many of us seem to be using outliner as a database. I personally do:
Everything I write goes into one outliner document, with no columns.
When I write something new I go through copying related work to my new work area.
I then review what I have.
Brainstorm new areas.
I then separate out the bits I want in my new work from the copied leaving the remainder together.
Write the new sections I want.
I then start organising the information.
Editing until I am happy then I copy into word for grammar checking and then my final publishing program.
My dislikes are mainly concerned with it's failings in following areas they include:
The fixed number of columns (single data format)
Lack of permission flexibility (can always read, write, edit, create and delete whole document), perhaps slit panes left and right one for reading copying the other for editing.
Single view method (the order it is in) I would like to be able to store views (parts of the document that are collapsed or expanded).
create other hierarchies. The ability to create a different index often appeals you could have a master document from which different versions are automatically created for different users.
I often what items in multiple places. Perhaps the hyper links are the answer but they come with problems, bidirectional links or hard links would work better.
Lack of revision control.
Limited to single user access.
Lack of search options.
Hard-links, RC, multi-user would likely require a switch to a file-format more closely resembling a database or file system.

Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarcou View Post
I would like for OOP4 to sport an audio recording feature like that found in Circus Ponies NoteBook 2.1. In NoteBook, one can turn on the recording feature at the beginning of an outlining session (say, at the beginning of a lecture) and record continuous audio, with each entry in the outline establishing a marker in the audio recording. Click on the audio icon next to any outline entry made in the recorded session and the audio will play from a few seconds before the point at which the outline entry was made.

amarcou
I'm employed by a university as a Tech TA that helps other students with tech problems and software suggestions. Based on my experience, if OO would track audio recording with text entered, many students would buy it.

Happy to give input from a student perspective if Omni folks are interested.

J

My biggest concern is just being able to see what is on the screen. With screen resolutions becoming finer, and my eyes becoming weaker I really need control over the color of the text and the size the text is displayed as opposed to the size the text is printed at. This is pretty important since I basically can't see the defaults either on Outliner or OmniFocus. Soft grey letters on a white background may give a designer shivers, but they give me fits.

I hope this change makes it above the line for 4.0