The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus with an Assistant? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm very new to OmniFocus but had not found an answer in the manual or on the forums yet, sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have a part-time (10 hours a week) assistant who is charged with completing tasks tied to projects both big and small. I would like to be able to have either me or my assistant edit my OmniFocus database, to update, complete, or add actions or projects, and to network sync to iCal and then on to our iPhones (we each have one) so we can both manage our calendars and to-do lists.

Is this going to be possible with OmniFocus--or am I asking too much? I fear that full-blown project management like OmniPlan is overkill for us. Thank you!

You may be interested in a project I've put together which syncs OmniFocus and Toodledo (a web based Todo service). Since Toodledo allows shared projects between users, and these shared projects sync back to OmniFocus, I think it could work for you. There is also a pretty good iPhone interface to Toodledo. Its in late beta.

http://groups.google.com/group/oftd

-P

This is why I suggested a long time ago on the omniblog that there be a tight link between OmniPlan and OmniFocus.

It's my guess, however, that a bonjour shared project etc., could easily help this type of thing. The only problem, is this could lead to arbitrary ownership of tasks etc. Collaborative projects likely will require something special.

I'm tempted to say it could be done with a collaborative version of OmniFocus, but I'm also tempted to say it shouldn't be done, simply because we all like to organize and create our own tasks in GTD... it sort of moves GTD away from the "mine" to the "Ours, because I said so." :)

Not sure. Interesting request, though, as I'm sort of in the same boat with an underling which I just found out I can set tasks for! ha. :) Nice boon to my work productivity to be sure.

I guess the issue is a bit different- I found myself struggling with a "delegated" context or indicator. It's sort of like a waiting for, but doesn't hold up any future tasks... perhaps Waiting for is best? Then I usually tag the file with a "done by Joe on date & time using textpander".

-Allen

Actually, a Delegated task might really be helpful, with a set date for review. [But, I'm still trying to cope with my understanding of the review...]

Hmm... yes, I need to read more about the Review... I guess it's project level only, not task level. Perhaps I should put delegated as a project, hmm... dunno...

Last edited by a11en; 2008-01-25 at 09:16 PM..

I think the solution should be a third windows for collaboration, where I had my team mates/work mates and then I can assign them a task ... whether it is synchronized via bonjour or mail (I fancy this one because this is better for people working from Home or remotely frequently).

Since they (team/work mates) own the task and I just want to do some follow-up, I think this is enough. Integration with OP is not really usefull for everyone ...

Has anyone else tried the ToodleDo sync? Sounds promising and maybe someone can modify it to work with BaseCamp.

BZ

We are seriously thinking (90% sure) of going with OmniPlan instead. My assistant downloaded it and it's pretty much exactly what she's been looking for (and it's far less intimidating and much more task-oriented than Daylite). I can export all my project stuff from OmniFocus into OmniPlan and delegate it to her. :-) Kidding but this would probably mean I spend more time in OmniPlan than in OmniFocus, but that's okay.

I would really love to see more integration between the two products. I think of OmniFocus as being for one person with its GTD approach and OmniPlan for being for multiple people who have to agree on resources, schedules, etc at that higher level. I'd like to be able to take my "own" stuff that I'm responsible for out of OmniPlan and put it into OmniFocus. And vice versa. Hopefully that will come in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAbbott View Post
I'd like to be able to take my "own" stuff that I'm responsible for out of OmniPlan and put it into OmniFocus. And vice versa. Hopefully that will come in the future.
OP does, of course, allow for export to a stand-alone OF document. The migration route back to OP is through CSV at the moment.