The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Numbering of sections and book chapters Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
From previous posts on related subjects, I suspect that this feature is not available in the current version of OmniOutliner, but I need to double-check.
I am about to submit a book project, which will contain sections divided in chapters. What I would like to be able to do is to have a continuous numbering of the chapters, like this:

Section I
  • Chapter 1
  • Chapter 2
  • Chapter 3
Section II
  • Chapter 4
  • Chapter 5
  • Chapter 6... etc.
From what is available in the numbering Inspector, it seems that there is no way to prevent numbers to restart with 1 for each section.
I wish I were wrong and there is a solution to what really seems to be the basics for an effective outlining tool, i.e., the ability to keep numbers increasing across rows, or to make them restart with a chosen number.

I would appreciate any suggestion for overcoming this issue.

Hotaru, I checked our development database; it looks like this is one of the features under consideration for a future version of OmniOutliner, but it's not something that the current releases support, I'm afraid.

If you use the "Send Feedback" item under the help menu to send the support ninjas an email, we can add you to the appropriate item in the database, so the team will know you'd like to see this added, as well.

Howdy!

Blowing the dust off this post to see if this has been added since this topic was originally posted.

This is exactly what I need to do. Any good news for me?

thanks!

This is something we're considering for inclusion in OmniOutliner 4, but it's not in the current version.

Apologies, but I'll be sure to add a note to that item in the development database so the rest of the team knows you want to see the feature added, though. (The popularity of a given request is one of the things we take into account when planning our work.)

OK, cool. Thanks for the update, Brian!