The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been having issues with OmniFocus not wanting to sort anything. Whether I try to tell it to sort by name, date, etc., it still won't sort. I would like to have my projects viewed by due date, but when I tell it to sort, it doesn't change the order of any of my tasks, regardless of the order. Has anyone else had this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman85 View Post
I've been having issues with OmniFocus not wanting to sort anything. Whether I try to tell it to sort by name, date, etc., it still won't sort. I would like to have my projects viewed by due date, but when I tell it to sort, it doesn't change the order of any of my tasks, regardless of the order. Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes, others have had this (understanding) problem. You won't be the last, either :-)

This is the key: "I would like to have my projects viewed by due date, but when I tell it to sort, it doesn't change the order of any of my tasks"

If you are looking at projects, the view bar does its sorting on projects, not tasks. It just changes the order in which the projects are displayed. If you are looking at tasks in the context mode view, it does the sorting on tasks. No changes are made to your database. If you tell it to sort by due date, it will arrange the projects by order of the project's due date (task due dates will not factor into this) from earliest to latest, followed by the projects with no due dates. The contents of each project will look identical to when you didn't have them sorted. If you want to see a list of actions you need to get done sorted by due date, that is best accomplished in context mode, where the list will be made up on an action by action basis, and the individual due dates used for the sorting.

Now, if you actually want to change the order of your tasks in a project, or your projects in the sidebar, that's a different kettle of fish, and in general is not just a rearrangement of the display. To do this variety of sorting, you select the items you want to sort, then choose Edit->Sort->(sort key) and it permanently rearranges them, just as if you had dragged them into the desired order. You need to think carefully before doing this, however, because if your tasks were supposed to be executed in a specific sequence, sorting them by date added, or name, or whatever probably will destroy that sequence!

I have several projects in a subfolder in the sidebar and cannot find a way to sort them. If I select a sort the projects will sort in the main viewing window, but not in the sidebar.

Thanks.

Expand the folder in sidebar, if not already so. Select the contents of the folder in the sidebar, then use Edit->Sort to sort them.

Thanks. Selecting ALL of the projects worked when I sorted them. The mistake I was making was to only select the projects in a subfolder. Sorting that group didn't work. Only after selecting all projects, folders and subfolders, did it sort.

No, you can sort the contents of a folder as well. You do have to actually have the contents selected in the sidebar; selecting only the folder itself doesn't work. You can also sort a selection of items so long as they are contiguous, if you only want to sort some of the items in a folder, or the main level of the sidebar.

I'm having great difficulty sorting Projects in the sidebar. It has worked a couple of times in the past, but usually nothing happens. I can't figure out what I'm doing differently.

I can press Ctrl-A to select all the projects and then View:Sort:Name and the project sort in the right viewing window, but not in the side bar. If I pick a subset of projects by selecting a range of project names in the sidebar using Command-click, the same thing happens.

How do I sort items by name in the side bar?

Do what you are doing, but first click in the sidebar.

whpalmer, I appreciate the help, but I can't get it to work. In Project view, I click in the sidebar and whatever project is closest to where I click is highlighted. I then press Ctrl-A and everything in the sidebar highlights. I select View:Sort:Name and whatever is in the main viewing window on the right sorts, but not the project names in the sidebar.

You want Edit→Sort not View→Sort