The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

repeating actions: advice? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
After using OF for about a year, I'm finally re-designing the way I approach it; would like some feedback about it.

I work in academics, and my tasks are really tied to what part of the semester it is. I broke it down so that each week is a 'project', then various parts of my tasks are grouped in 'contexts' -- ie, everything having to do with 'registration', or 'textbooks', etc is in a context together.

I don't really understand how repeating events work. I want to have my semester/week events repeat on a yearly basis -- what I do for a May finals project this year, I don't need to think about it until May finals next year. I want to have my project (tasks for the week) running all week, checking off items as I complete it, then have it reset as the following year's due dates. I'd like to be able to see that I've completed it for this year, and after current due dates, see when it's due again.

If I put things on a short repeat cycle, say 5 minutes, as soon as you check something off it jumps back immediately. If I put it on longer cycles, what is the protocol for when it will re-appear? can it automatically change my due dates? In my tests so far, it appears that it will just linger as 'overdue' and annoyingly in red for the whole time.

On another last note, I just got into the ical script, http://www.ptone.com/misc/CreateCalendar.zip, which is immensely helpful (thanks ptone!)