The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

document.onmousedown Incorrect Behavior Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Every browser I test my designs with (10-15 total, including yours) executes document.onmousedown correctly ... accept for Omniweb.

Instead, document.onmousedown doesn't fire until onmouseUP takes place.

I'm storing my document.onmousedown function inside of a window.onload event.

Is there a workaround?

Do you have any plans to correct this?

Hi, I think this is happening because of our click and hold context menu behavior. I would like us to fix this.

There is an end user workaround in that they can move the mouse slightly while holding the mouse button down to register the click as long as it's still in the hot area. Rough, I know.

There's a hidden default which controls this behavior, ActivateContextMenuWithClickHold. I've changed the factory setting to false for our next sneaky peek release (but you can change it in older builds using "defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb ActivateContextMenuWithClickHold -bool false").

When you say ... "Rough, I know" ...

Man, that's the cool part! You guys actually ACKNOWLEDGE it as being an issue.

Other "bigger" browser forums would probably say something like ...

"We here at the borg hereby define what you, the user, want by infiltrating your nervous system and disregarding your voice on earth."

THANK you for this bug LOL.

So, then, it is likely to be fixed in coming updates?

Is there perhaps a "return false;" approach that could remedy this in the current browser version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDean View Post
Is there perhaps a "return false;" approach that could remedy this in the current browser version?
Have you read the post from Ken Case two above yours?

;)

I have. I suppose I was hoping for a page-based solution that isn't so "rough".

I'll keep my eyes out for the next release.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Robin,

Sorry, I should have thought to mention the default as well. You can set that hidden preference Ken mentions in the current 5.9 release available on our main product page. The preference has always been there so any OmniWeb 5 release will support the setting.