The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trouble syncing with iCal? [See first post in thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have gone along a number of angles in this thread, and I am not syncing correctly.

Leopard fully patched, MB.

I quit all of the following:

* iCal
* OmniFocus
* Mail (it has to-dos!)
* iTunes (which is slowly taking over the Apple universe)

Ejected:

* iPod
* iPhone

Dashboard was not running.

Ran killall SyncServer, no error message so I think it found a syncserver and killed it.

I have a Time Machine disk on.

OF database switched to a Flash drive using Preferences -> Database Location chooser.

I am

MORE INFO...

I had also killed my MenuCalendarClock iCal

rebooted the machine, no dice....

I synced all contexts to the same new local iCal calendar

I set prefs in OmniFocus to sync basically everything -- completed items, blocked items, include context

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestevans View Post
hi, thanks for your patience, it seems that i can drag items into the calendar from the to do list? is that the only way to get them to actually show up in the calendar?
1. If ACTIONS are synched as TODOs and not EVENTs in iCal and it doesn't carry the time and date information of an ACTION item. It doesn't make sense!? So, I shouldn't bother with entering the time date information in OF but wait until I am in iCal?

2. When I drag a TODO item to a date and time in iCal brought in from OF - making it now an EVENT. After I synched OF to iCal again, I don't see the time and date information updated in OF. ??

Thanks.

I had the same syncing problem, and after doing the terminal thing, I wondered why there are certain todos not coming over to iCal.

Secret to this was: The project in question was a sequential (?) action type, and the todo nor getting synced was nor the next one. Just bring it to the top (or change project type) and voila...

wok4

(Sorry for my bad english, ich kann besser deutsch schreiben...)

;-)

killall SyncServer
Then, press return. You may get a 'no such process' response. That's okay. That just means that SyncServer wasn't running when we told it to stop.

Next, enter the following command into Terminal and press Return again:
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/*

-------------
FYI - I was having same nightmare with OF not syncing (OF->iCal only it was syncing from iCal back to OF). Did the above and it synced first time AND was really much faster!

Thanks for the fix.

Something I didn't quite understand in your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebot View Post
In iCal, select View -> Show To-Do List. You want to make sure your actions do not appear in that column before proceeding. (Remember, we sync actions as To-Do's, not as events on the calendar.)
Let's say I have a task in OmniFocus e.g. "Eat Lunch" and I have the same task in iCal e.g. "Eat Lunch" (and the OmniFocus context and iCal calendar are linked in OmniFocus preferences). That is what you are referring to? In this case, you would recommend that I delete one or the other before syncing?

Or should the iCal task list be free of ALL tasks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebot View Post
For method one, please paste the following into Terminal.app (found in the utilities subfolder of Application):

killall SyncServer
Then, press return. You may get a 'no such process' response. That's okay. That just means that SyncServer wasn't running when we told it to stop.

Next, enter the following command into Terminal and press Return again:
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/*
As you mention later, this completely resets SyncServices. Is this a more complete reset than the one that you can do through the 'reset sync data' button in the 'advanced' menu of the 'sync' tab of '.Mac' in 'System Settings'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestevans View Post
hi, thanks for your patience, it seems that i can drag items into the calendar from the to do list? is that the only way to get them to actually show up in the calendar?
Yes, you can do this, but OmniFocus won't synch with events, so any changes you make to the iCal event will not make it back to OmniFocus. iCal stores events and To-Dos in two separate databases; we don't touch the event database at all.

There are a couple reasons why we synch as to-do's, not as events, but the main one is this: we didn't think that folks wanted an event that starts on Monday and is due on Friday to cover up their entire week in iCal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfe_ii View Post
OF database switched to a Flash drive using Preferences -> Database Location chooser.

I am
It looks like your post got cut off - did you run the second terminal command?

I don't really have enough information here to figure out what's going on - you probably want to send an email to our support ninjas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamshops View Post
1. If ACTIONS are synched as TODOs and not EVENTs in iCal and it doesn't carry the time and date information of an ACTION item. It doesn't make sense!? So, I shouldn't bother with entering the time date information in OF but wait until I am in iCal?
I have OmniFocus (with the Growl notification framework installed) as a repository for the things I specifically need to take action on. I enter start and due dates in OmniFocus so it can notify me as needed.

This way, my calendar is free for other events that aren't strictly actionable. Both applications can pop up a notification, and there's a clear separation between OmniFocus telling me I need to take action on something vs. iCal telling me 'hey - today is your Mom's birthday'.

I have far too many actions in Focus (many repeating daily) to want them spamming my iCal calendar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamshops View Post
2. When I drag a TODO item to a date and time in iCal brought in from OF - making it now an EVENT. After I synched OF to iCal again, I don't see the time and date information updated in OF. ??
See the previous answer in the thread: iCal displays two kinds of information which are stored in two different databases. We don't touch your event database at all.