The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Importing Lines from Thunderbird/Mail as tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I frequently get emails in Thunderbird and Apple Mail (both plain text and HTML) that contain tasks for a project. Each task is on a new line (sometimes numbered).

Is there an easy way to import all the lines at once in OmniFocus, each line becoming a new task? My current method of cutting and pasting each line is tedious.

If importing multiple lines is not possible, maybe it is possible to "split" a task into two tasks at cursor position?

I did not find any of these features, and wonder if I'm blind (because I don find them) or weird (because nobody else had this problem before).

Select the whole block of lines. Edit->Copy. Switch to OmniFocus. Click on the row handle (the dot at the left end) of the row where you want to paste your lines. Edit->Paste. You'll get a row for each line that you copied. If you don't click in the right place, you'll get a single row containing all of the lines, as you have probably already discovered.

I haven't tried this with Thunderbird, as I haven't used it in years, but I believe it will work.

Some other helpful tips:

shift-return will create a new blank row above where you are
option-return will make a new line in the current row
shift-option-return will make a new line above you in the current row

To split existing multi-line rows, select only the text of such a row, then paste as described above. You'll then need to delete the original, and set the dates, context, etc. for the new rows. You can do this more efficiently by selecting them all, then bringing up the inspector to set the data for all selected rows simultaneously.