The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

tracking PM time for project duration Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
At my company, the project manager is usually working on 2-3 projects at a time. I'd like to be able to track this on the individual project plans.

I'm thinking I could create a single task "Manage Project" and assign the PM to this at 30% (or whatever). Is there a better way?

How would I make this task run the entire duration of the project, even as the duration may change? For example, if the project is late by 2 weeks, this adds 2 weeks of the developer, plus 2 weeks x 30% of the PM, something like that.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plots
At my company, the project manager is usually working on 2-3 projects at a time. I'd like to be able to track this on the individual project plans.

I'm thinking I could create a single task "Manage Project" and assign the PM to this at 30% (or whatever). Is there a better way?

How would I make this task run the entire duration of the project, even as the duration may change? For example, if the project is late by 2 weeks, this adds 2 weeks of the developer, plus 2 weeks x 30% of the PM, something like that.

Thanks for your suggestions.
You could do that. If the project was late by 2 weeks, you would have to manually change the duration of the task your PM is assigned to.

Another method would be to simply set your Project Manager's units to 33.3% in the Resource view for all 3 projects. The downside to this is that you don't actually "see" the Project Manager working on a task, you just know that 66.6% of his units are devoted to other projects.