The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Crop Image script Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Howdy,

Keith Lang of Plasq fame asked me today how to crop an image in OmniGraffle, and I felt like I should have a better answer than our usual several-step process. It's not that hard, but I really felt like it should be a one-step thing.

So, until we can improve the experience in the app, Lizard and I started on a little AppleScript that works kind of like the Intersect command in the Shapes submenu. Create a rectangle on top of the image you want to crop, select both objects, and run this script. Note that this only works properly when your original image is at its full original size.

Of course, you can always use the image placement controls in the Image inspector, but this is a nice little shortcut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cropped Steve.jpg
Views:	1500
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	737  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Crop Image.scpt.zip (3.9 KB, 1866 views)

Last edited by Bill Van Hecke; 2008-10-16 at 12:03 PM..

This is great! (At least until a more robust solution is in place - the current cropping process doesn't make sense to me.)

For those of us that didn't know anything about scripting in OmniGraffle until this post, here's how you make it work:
  1. First, you need to activate the Script Menu first. Launch AppleScript Utility, located inside AppleScript folder. You'll find it in /Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript Utility.
  2. Then, put the downloaded script in ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniGraffle Pro (drop the Pro if you're using the Standard edition), where ~ is your home folder.
  3. Finally, while OmniGraffle is open, just click the Scripts menu (it shows up as a scroll icon on the right side of the menu bar) and choose the 'crop image' script.

I can't download the attachments.
Best Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianS View Post
I can't download the attachments.
Best Regards
What happens when you try? What are you doing to download them, and what browser are you using? I just successfully downloaded both by simply clicking on the links in Safari 3.2.1 running on 10.4.11...

Bill, thanks very much for this script, it will definitely save me some time. That said, a proper crop function is still as necessary as ever.

Two problems:

1. Cropping is not perfectly accurate. In my test, the cropped area is usually a little too low.

2. The resulting cropped image cannot be scaled without ruining the crop. This is part of OG's flawed image placement approach.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it. I understand there is work underway to improve cropping in OG.

Script is obsolete for Omnigraffle 5

for crop; in the image inspector, use ‘natural’ image display and the enhanced scale and shift sliders

Last edited by josefnoll; 2010-02-05 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: missing title

No, the Script is not obsolete. As a matter of fact, the way through the image inspector is extremely awkward and completely not 'natural'.

The script works fine in OG Pro 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What happens when you try? What are you doing to download them, and what browser are you using? I just successfully downloaded both by simply clicking on the links in Safari 3.2.1 running on 10.4.11...
You need to register and login to download...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Van Hecke View Post
Howdy,

Keith Lang of Plasq fame asked me today how to crop an image in OmniGraffle, and I felt like I should have a better answer than our usual several-step process. It's not that hard, but I really felt like it should be a one-step thing.

So, until we can improve the experience in the app,.....
As relative newbie I am *stunned* I can't alt/drag the boundaries of an image and crop it.

It's been over 3 years since the post above. Any progress?

Lee

We generally prioritize our work on the basis of the number of folks who are sending in the request, rather than absolute age.

This is one of the things that's under consideration for inclusion in a future version of the app, but there are a number of other outstanding requests with more customers attached. As well as a number of other requests that would be on that list if we hadn't already added them over the last three years. :-)

That said, I'll attach your post to the item on a Crop tool in our development database, so the rest of the team will know you'd like to see this added, too. Thanks!