The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Flow hierarchy in OmniGraffle? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm new to OmniGraffle and trying to figure out if I can create the network diagrams I need. I'm not sure the right language to describe it, so I'll give it my best shot.

In my diagrams, everything in a child layer should be a child to *everything* in the parent layer, not just one item. In other words, something starts at Item 1, can flow through any of Items 2 through 4, and a common output from those can flow through any of Items 5-8.

In the Outline, I can only get an item to be a child of one other item. I've tried manually adding the additional needed arrows, but it just keeps making a mess of the diagram. Is there any way to tell it to make these links in its beautiful way?

Many thanks!

Sounds like you need to switch off Automatic Layout
(under Inspectors > Diagram Layout in the main menu)
and then link nodes manually, rather than using the outline panel.

OK, thanks anyway. I was just so excited to see how easily it made such a good looking chart from the outline. I'm sorry it doesn't know about any kind of relationships other than hierarchical ones.

I'm not really sure from your description what your desired diagram might look like, but I wouldn't give up so quickly just because the automatic layout can't handle an arbitrary graph. If you link the objects with lines (click on the line tool, click on first object until it pulses, click on second object) you can drag the objects around as if connected by rubber bands, and you may find that it is not very difficult to get a polished result. You may also be able to start with a hierarchical version to get the basic automatic layout, then switch it off and add your extra connections. It's worth some time experimenting, and you'll want to spend a bunch of time experimenting anyhow if you're going to acquire any fluency with the app!