The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bug (?): How to level resource over utilization when units < 100% Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

The Level command is great: it has properly rescheduled all the tasks in my trial projects when adding resources/constraints.

Except now.

One of the assigned person on the project went from working full time to working 60% of its time. So I set its Units value to 60%. Of course, his load graph went pink, showing overutilization for that resource. So far so good.

So I tried to Level the project, expecting all the tasks durations to be lengthened. But no, the load graph stayed pink.

The Help file says:

" A pink bar in the load graph represents time when the resource is being used at over 100% of its available units. You can level the project to clear up such problems."

Which is somewhat ambiguous to me (as a non-native English speaker). But as far as I understand, this quite relevant: my ressource available units are 60 (%). 100% of 60 is 60 (!), and my resource is actually used at over those 60 units.

Thus it seems to me this is a bug (IMHO): leveling the project should clear up the problem, but it doesn't.

Any suggestion to work that around? I could edit that person's calendar to make him available only 60% of the time (manually), but I don't like that idea very much.

Or did I miss something?

TIA,

Jean-Denis

He's available 60% of the time, but he's still assigned to those tasks at 100%. In the task inspector, select the tasks with this problem (individually or all at once). Then open the task dependencies inspector. The resource will be assigned at "100% of 60%". Change this to 60%. This should fix it. (If you assign any more tasks to this resource, they will automatically be assigned at 60%.)

I just found someone has already reported this as a bug, so I have added your comments. Hopefully we can make OmniPlan behave more intelligently here, or at least improve the text in the violation to make it clearer what the user needs to do.

"100% of 70%" (or, as it is displayed in german "100% von 70%") should be valid and equaling 70% that is expected behaviour imho.

So one can easily express: This human spends 100% of _what_is_available_ to this task.
Now, when changing the percentage for a human resource, one has to adjust every task this human is assigned to.

Even worse is the following bug: When changing the availability of the resource back to 100% the warning stays and claims that 100% of 100% is a resource overuse. (see attached screenshot)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 2.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	535  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljoscha View Post
"100% of 70%" (or, as it is displayed in german "100% von 70%") should be valid and equaling 70% that is expected behaviour imho.

So one can easily express: This human spends 100% of _what_is_available_ to this task.
Now, when changing the percentage for a human resource, one has to adjust every task this human is assigned to.

Even worse is the following bug: When changing the availability of the resource back to 100% the warning stays and claims that 100% of 100% is a resource overuse. (see attached screenshot)
I've filed a bug report for this. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post
I've filed a bug report for this. Thanks!
Is this problem (in the meantime) solved in the latest verion of OmniPlan?