The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Use of images incompatible with HTML Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a workflow that allows you to use images in an outline in a way that is compatible with exporting to a standard HTML page?

If I copy/paste images they are saved as TIFF and exported as such using HTML (Dynamic). This isn't much use as TIFF is not supported by default in browsers.

Any suggestions?

If you don't want tiff files in your output, don't put them in. OmniOutliner just uses what you give it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you don't want tiff files in your output, don't put them in. OmniOutliner just uses what you give it.
That's incorrect. If you copy/paste a GIF or JPEG from Firefox or Safari into an outline, the image is converted to a TIFF. I am not putting any source TIFFS into my outline.

This may be an issue on the browser side. OmniOutliner will use whatever data the application you copied from puts on the clipboard - it doesn't convert the data format.

Example: I pointed my copy of Safari 5.1.2 at the Wikipedia logo image from their front page - use this link to point at the same image.

I copied the logo (which is in PNG format) to the clipboard, then opened OmniOutliner and pasted the image into a new document. Saving the document, then control-clicking on the file and selecting "Show Package Content" from the menu that appears shows that the file was saved with the image still in the original format. (See screenshot.)

Michaela, if you're seeing something else, please send details to our support ninjas and we'll be happy to investigate what's going on here. It's possible there's some edge case where something else happens, but the intent is for the app to do what you're requesting. Sorry for the trouble!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test.png
Views:	659
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	2165  

Last edited by Brian; 2011-12-30 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: correct typo

When I either attach an image (via the Attach toolbar button) or copy/paste an image, I get the same type as the original when I do so with tiff, jpeg, png, or gif. Why would someone go to the trouble of writing the code to convert a pasted image into some other, possibly larger, file format instead of using the original, when the original is in a format the application already supports?

I made an outline with a handful of images attached via either the Attach button or right-clicking on web page images in Safari, selecting Copy Image, and pasting into OO. I saved the file as images.oo3, and exported a copy as images.html (Dynamic HTML). You can see the contents of both here:

See any TIFF files?

Perhaps if you describe what you are doing in more detail we can figure out where your unwanted TIFF files originate, but I'm skeptical that OmniOutliner is creating them.

Thanks Brian. I'll mail support but here's what I've found out for reference.

The problem does appear to be a browser/OSX clipboard issue.

If you Copy Image on an image in Firefox 8.0.1 or Chrome 16.0.912.63 then the pasted image is always a tiff regardless of source format. This issue occurred with earlier versions of Firefox as well.

So to refine my original question - Is there a way to be able to copy/paste correct image format into Outliner from Firefox?

As far as I can see the only workaround is use Copy Image from Safari or save image locally first.

There doesn't appear to be any way to change the default image clipboard format from TIFF the way you can change the default screencapture format (defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg
)

No clean answer on the Apple forums either
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=30&tstart=0

There might be a Firefox addon of some sort to force the browser to put the original image on the clipboard, but it's not something we can address on our end, I'm afraid.