The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Oh Frabjous Day! The Next Level has arrived! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just downloaded the sneaky peak and something that I have been waiting for has finally arrived!

The ability to see parents and even projects in the context list! This is a huge improvement. Here are some of the reasons:
• Gives a user the ability to rough sketch out a project, and add actions on the fly.
• Allows user to make sure a parent is complete, and whether it needs to have more actions added to it for completion, or if it can be completed.

The method of using OmniFocus that I subscribe to is, children are actions that move the parent closer to completion.

When I have projects planned out, sometimes I'll get to an action in my contexts that is not broken down as small as it could be. I'll create smaller children actions for the parent that will move me closer to completing the parent.

The process looks like this:
I'll try to do an action in the context list
if I'm feeling resistance toward completing the action I ask myself:
Is there anything I need to do to complete this action
or
can I break the action down into smaller actions
If the answer is yes, I create children actions that will move me closer to completing the parent
Once those children are checked off...
the parent appears in the context list! hooray!
I try to complete the action
If I cannot complete it, I ask myself the questions again,
create children
complete children
see the parent and either complete it or add more children to it!

This is a godsend for projects that cannot be fully planned out in project mode, or projects that change rapidly and cannot be fully planned out.

Life is dynamic.
The best laid plans of mine and men go often awry.
To a Mouse

Thank you Omni Group!

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around this. I have a question. What's the easy way to add a child action in context view without going to project view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggs View Post
I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around this. I have a question. What's the easy way to add a child action in context view without going to project view?
I don't think you can currently. Action groups and projects are now shown in context view for purposes of either checking them off or realizing that you need another action before the parent is complete. To add an action under an item you need a project mode view, which is where all outlining takes place.

My strategy is to double click the little dot to the left of the putative parent. This will open a new window showing the parent in project mode. I can add a new child there, then close the window. Hope that helps.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggs View Post
What's the easy way to add a child action in context view without going to project view?
At the moment, the easiest way is probably to use Command-N to create a new action via Quick Entry, assigning it to that project. (Remember, you can type just a few memorable characters*from the project's name to quickly select it.)

That only works for projects, not groups; if you encounter a group and want to add a child, double-clicking on it to open it in Project mode (as Curt suggests) is your easiest option.

I think it would be nice if the standard Edit->Outlining->Add Child command worked, so you could just use its keyboard shortcut to add a child item like you can in Project mode. But we probably won't have time to do that until we ship some iPad apps. (We're now at 21 days out of 60 for those!)

Another thing I've noticed while working with this new format: it's encouraging to see a project slowly move toward the top of a list as actions are completed.

This will only work when the project is assigned in the same context as the actions, but for those projects it's motivating.