The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner Lion and iCloud Doc Syncing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Given Lion is arriving soon and iCloud is not that far away either, does anyone know how the document synchronisation is actually going to work?

At the moment I'm saving OO docs to iDisk to share them but I'm not really sure what to expect when all this new stuff drops.

Anyone have any info?

Dropbox is the recommended solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
Dropbox is the recommended solution.
Dropbox does file level sync, but it's the potentially more efficient record level sync of iCloud that interests me.

I have some OO files that are large because of many file attachments, and these are all re-saved over the network every time I write the file I use WebDAV/dropbox/iDisk.

The synchronisation of changes WITHIN a file would be a huge improvement on this, and this is what Apple are suggesting will be available.

But so far that's all I know.

Given that iCloud is pre-release software, and thus under Apple's NDA, I figure Omni Group isn't going to comment on it publicly.

That said, on Twitter, Ken did say they were hoping to have all their document-based apps (that is, everything *but* OmniFocus) supporting iCloud when it ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidnell View Post
Dropbox does file level sync, but it's the potentially more efficient record level sync of iCloud that interests me.
This clearly doesn't happen, and I can't remember why I thought this would be the case. Perhaps I was over interpreting some throw-away comment in the launch keynote.

I've been using iCloud + Numbers for a while now and while it does work, I'm a little underwhelmed.

If I have a large spreadsheet on my phone and add a single new row, it seems (judging by how long it takes) to be uploading the entire file, which is both unnecessary and slow - particularly over 3g.

And of course if the upload takes a long time it greatly increases the risk of failure (due to loss of 3g/WiFi) and hence a sync conflict if I later assume the file has been pushed out everywhere - but hasn't.

I frequently find myself in a situation where my iPad and or iPhone are both stuck in some indeterminate state with the document showing an unmoving empty progress bar under the document with the possible embellishment of an arrow.

At this point I usually have to leave it for an hour or so, reboot the devices and hope the correct document version wins since there is no user control that allows me to cancel or retry the sync.

This is a real pain since I want to know that the document is saved (or not) to the cloud NOW while I'm in good WiFi rather than have it have it try and fail 25 times from the trunk of my car as I drive to work.

It's made me appreciate just how robust and useable the OmniFocus sync is.

Anyone have any news on what the sync plans are for OmniOutliner?