The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Organizer? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Usage question for those of you that use OmniOutliner to organize notes:

The note taking capabilities of OmniOutliner seem very robust, and I think it would be a great product for me in that regard. But how do you organize your notes? For example, let's say you're a student with 5 classes and are taking daily lecture notes. Do you have subfolders and save a file a day per class in those? I'm using NoteBook presently, which has very robust organizational tools (but not as advanced note-taking tools). I'd like something to mimin the organization abilities of NoteBook (e.g., a table of contents, sub-tabs, then actual notes pages).

Ideas?

Thanks!

Forgive the bump. I'm also curious how lecture notes might be organized in Omnioutliner.

I use CP Notebook for classes, but Omnioutliner is much more reliable with the outlines.

Does anyone use it for school? How do you organize your notes?

Bumped again because I came on looking for the same information. I love Omnioutliner, but I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed with so many related but individual files.

When I was in school, something like this:

If you don't like using the sections and/or the Hoist command as Derek illustrates, you can also keep a separate file of notes for each lecture, and make an overview/organizer by dragging the files into the notes. Then just click on the file icons when you want to go to that particular outline. If you need a completely different schema for different sections of the overall outline, this is one way you can do it without waiting for OO4 to arrive. It also allows you to organize a bunch of different documents without combining them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you don't like using the sections and/or the Hoist command as Derek illustrates, you can also keep a separate file of notes for each lecture, and make an overview/organizer by dragging the files into the notes. Then just click on the file icons when you want to go to that particular outline. If you need a completely different schema for different sections of the overall outline, this is one way you can do it without waiting for OO4 to arrive. It also allows you to organize a bunch of different documents without combining them.
That's a nice way of doing it, thanks! Do we know that OO4 will have any particular organization methods in it? If so, that's pretty exciting!

Looking back at various posts from Ken over the last year, I would like to clarify that he appears to have made no commitment to variable schema support in OO4. Maybe he'll comment on OO4 at his Q&A session at Macworld next week if someone asks the question!