The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Oh crap - OF iPhone stuck Optimizing Database Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've got the newest version of OF iPhone. It's been great so far. The Nearby feature finally works properlly and doesn't crash everytime I check something off! Yes! Thanx!

But... the system just went UNTRUSTED on me. It's stuck Optimizing database. If I close the app, it CRASHES upon launch EVERYTIME. I can suspend/prevent the crash by quickly entering Quick Entry mode. I can enter a new Inbox item, but as soon as I complete that, the app goes back to "Optimizing database".

I'm in a meeting right now, trying to record important info I need to follow up on. Oh.... and I'm typing this forum post. ;-)

What just happened? Sorry, can't send help from the app because it keeps crashing.

Brandon

Rebooting the phone did not help.

Don't be impatient, just let it run to completion. Once in a while during the alpha test I had it take a long time, but it would be fine after that if I let it finish.

It's been cranking for 10 minutes now. I've never seen anything over 7 minutes even from the early days of OF iPhone.

How long of a wait are you suggesting?

Okay, 10 minutes seems too long, even for my outlandish database. Give Omni a call and see if they want you to mail it to them for debugging/salvage. 1-800-315-OMNI.

Had to delete app and reinstall and resync. Lost a couple of Inbox items, but I am back to normal now.

Everything was fine until you guys added the extras....which I thought were great. But now, when I used the bookmarking on a website, OmniFocus got hung up on the database optimizing and crashes. Same symptoms as this user posted. Since iTunes/iTouch won't back up the data, I've lost my GTD stuff. I'd think David Allen wouldn't be happy about this. I know I'm not.

Can you fix this? You have a great product - just didn't account for problem with the add-on of the bookmarking. I have 1st Generation iTouch (with upgraded operating system and the latest iTunes softare) and had just updated last week to the new OmniFocus.

Thanks....try, try....again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Him View Post
Everything was fine until you guys added the extras....which I thought were great. But now, when I used the bookmarking on a website, OmniFocus got hung up on the database optimizing and crashes. Same symptoms as this user posted.
Please contact our support ninjas as soon as possible, either by telephone at 1-800-315-6664 (toll free) or +1 206-523-4152 (international) or by email at omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com. It's their job to keep you up and running and your data secure.

Quote:
Since iTunes/iTouch won't back up the data, I've lost my GTD stuff.
iTunes backs up all the data from OmniFocus when you back up your iPhone, and if you contact our support ninjas they can help you recover your OmniFocus database from an iTunes backup.

OmniFocus for iPhone can also email its entire database to anyone, as long as the database fits within your device's RAM. If you'd like to send your database to our support ninjas (or to yourself), instructions are on this Email Database page.

Our support ninjas can help you recover all the data (including any unprocessed Quick Entry items) from an emailed database, and can also analyze the structure of that database to figure out why it's taking so long to load and optimize. They can also help you collect diagnostics from your iPhone to send to us, so we can figure out why OmniFocus is not working properly for you. (Since most people don't seem to be encountering any problems with the new 1.6 release, we really need those who do encounter problems to help us collect more information about those problems so we can fix them.)

Some of our support ninjas do occasionally visit these forums and lend a hand, but that's not their job: it's their job to stay on top of support calls (where they provide immediate help) and email (which they respond to ASAP: usually within hours, but by the end of the next business day at the latest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
iTunes backs up all the data from OmniFocus when you back up your iPhone, and if you contact our support ninjas they can help you recover your OmniFocus database from an iTunes backup.

(Since most people don't seem to be encountering any problems with the new 1.6 release, we really need those who do encounter problems to help us collect more information about those problems so we can fix them.)
I'd been in touch with your Ninja before you posted - he was responsive, but the problem still remains: the data file keeps the app from opening (even when restored from backup after re-install of the app), so it's not possible to get into it to send the data file.
Your view that "most people not having problems with 1.6 release" -- looking at the iTunes reviews, there's a noticeable number of similar problems. My post is a critique, not a criticism. Again, the app's a great idea -- but worked great for me in *previous* version. I consider my $19.95 for the iTouch app an investment that a future bug fix will be worked out. You have good people there. Thanks for responding. Kudos to the Ninjas.

Last edited by Him; 2010-01-26 at 02:15 PM..

Did you provide the data file to the support ninja? It should be straightforward for Ken to figure out what's going on with the file in hand.

There's a Mac app called iPhone Backup Extractor that will let you recover the OF database from an (unencrypted) backup on the Mac. Looks like there's something similar called Backup Extractor for iPhone and it wouldn't surprise me if there's more than one such app.