The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Push notifications for OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
I didn't sign up for any service from Appigo, it just works.
It just works as long as you are connected to the internet. 40% of the devices capable of running OmniFocus for iPhone don't have near-ubiquitous connectivity (and the other 60% may not always have it either), so it's rather less useful than the solution Omni implemented, or the solution they hope to implement if Apple provides the means. What good is an unreliable notification?

Quote:
That's what I recommend OF does - work out a deal with Toodledo for their free accounts to support this. They have an API and everything.
Meh. Network-based notifications are too unreliable. And what about all the iPod touch users?

I think Ken is right: the best solution is on-device notifications. I sure hope Apple is listening.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-09-16 at 01:11 PM..

Quote:
I also use ToDo because OF doesn't do alerts.
I'm not sure I understand: OmniFocus does do alerts now; have you tried them?

1. Yes I have tried them. The problem is that I don't want every action with a due date on time on it to be an alert. I have some that come up and turn red/orange when I need to worry about them but they are not ones that I necessarily want to be alerted to with a message and a be-doop. So, alerts as currently rendered are annoying and not useful to me. In point of fact, they way they are set up is worse than not having them because I get drowned in a sea of notifications.

If this method had a flag such that (a) if the item had a due date/time AND (b) the alert flag on the action was set, then to notify. The other way to do this would be to add an alert time in the action that is separate from the due time. Then this would work and would work well. Right now. No.

2. I'm familiar with the argument of (a) needing the internet and (b) not all customers are iPhones. The response to this is that OF's competition is finding a way around that, it is an often asked for option which indicates a significant portion of the user base wants it. If you read the forums of these other apps - RTM and Appigo Todo this was a feature that users were rabid to get. So, it is almost a universally desired capability in all the competitors too.

The 60/40 iPhone/ipod issue is funny when you look at the massive number of iPhones being sold and the dominance that they are achieving in the smartphone market. It may be 60% but it is 60% of a HUGE number that is getting huge-er fast. I don't think anyone expected the iPhone device market to be this big this fast, therefore that 60% represents a lot more users than were expected anyhow . Be realistic.

Omni may be "right" but it is also a probable case of winning the battle and losing the war if you take the competitive feature perspective. The position taken by the "high priests" of GTD will generate a business loss on this one, I'm afraid.

#2 could very well be handled by a better #1 - or at least 90% of it.

J.

As an ex-palm (PalmOS) developer, I find it astonishing that apple haven't created an API that allows an app to register some sort of "wake me up at..." functionality.

I can only assume that it's either:

1) a multi-tasking issue, they currently have no way of coping with one app waking up when another is running.

2) a power issue, they want to stop unruly apps waking up every 5mins to check some service and drain away all the power.

But I'd agree that it's desperately needed, developers are forced to implement seriously over the top solutions to get around the lack of app timers/alarms/threading.

I'd be amazed if this feature isn't forthcoming - but then I've been amazed before...

Last edited by psidnell; 2009-10-07 at 09:04 AM..

Is it worth pointing out that, iirc, Appigo and RTM started their lives as browser-based online services first and then created iPhone apps? While it is great that they are able to offer push notifications it is purely because they already (a) had the experience and server infrastructure in place to do it and (b) already had a customer base that was willing to use a web-based service.

OmniGroup don't have that luxury and to expect them to magically come up with the experienced staff etc needed to achieve this overnight is a little short-sighted is it not? Especially when push notifications are at best a half-arsed solution to a problem that shouldn't even exist and at worst a complete waste of time for half your customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Is it worth pointing out that, iirc, Appigo and RTM started their lives as browser-based online services first and then created iPhone apps? While it is great that they are able to offer push notifications it is purely because they already (a) had the experience and server infrastructure in place to do it and (b) already had a customer base that was willing to use a web-based service.
You're absolutely correct. Toodledo is in the same boat with RTM and Appigo. I used them for a long time. I found them to be reliable (one more than the other) but now I am focused strictly on OF.

I am trying to follow a GTD method and alerts are really not a must for a GTD. Since its creator insists on the fact that it can be performed even on paper, how would an alert be implemented on paper? Per Allen, you must review your projects constantly. I do.

I say, if you can't deal with a free WebDav server, you have no business using an iPhone task manager. The iPhone is a mini-terminal, not just a phone. I maintain entire websites from my iPhone, I charge clients on the spot (with credit cards), I purchase inventory, sell, and much more. Out of the many apps and functions in the iPhone, I use OF the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I'm not sure I understand: OmniFocus does do alerts now; have you tried them?
Hi ... excuse me Ken if it has already been posted somewhere... could you explain briefly what's the simplest way to do alerts on iPhone?

Probably "Prowl" is a solution?
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ighlight=prowl

Works great for me.