The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to make and drag arrows? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just purchased OG Standard 5.2. On my first job, I've imported a PDF file containing a floor plan and assigned it as layer 1. Then, I selected a new layer as layer 2 so I can show furniture and other furnishings in their planned locations. I want to draw a simple arrow that starts in the middle of a hallway and either curves or turns at a right angle to indicate a designated doorway. Using the line tool, I drew the line with a right angle and managed to get the arrow on the correct end. I thought it was odd that the line insisted on originating in the center of the canvas, but it became even more strange when I tried to drag the arrow to the desired location. The arrow was unmanageable. I tried to rotate it, but the arrowhead kept flipping into different positions. When I tried to flip it using the Geometry Inspector, it didn't flip in the expected way. I still can't get it placed correctly. To make sure I hadn't lost my mind, I opened InDesign and drew the desired arrow and placed it wherever I wanted on the page in a matter of 15 seconds. Returning to OG, I locked layer 1 to make sure I wasn't complicating things by having more than one active layer, but the problem persists. I have used OG in the past. I like many of its features, but this line business is baffling. Can anyone tell from this story what I'm doing wrong? Dragging a simple arrow to a desired location should not be this hard.

Sounds like the line is connecting to some very large object or image on layer 1. Lock that layer, and I suspect everything will go all right. Alternatively, when creating a line you can hold down the Option key and it won't want to connect to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Sounds like the line is connecting to some very large object or image on layer 1. Lock that layer, and I suspect everything will go all right. Alternatively, when creating a line you can hold down the Option key and it won't want to connect to anything.
I already locked Layer 1, but the option key helped a lot. Also, I found that not attaching the arrowhead until the line is in place reduces the unintended twists and turns of the line. It's still too unstable to suit me, but I don't do a lot of ad lib lines like that so I won't make a federal case out of it. Thanks a lot for the response. It really did help.

Another thing you may want to try is create the line, then in the Connections Inspector disallow connections to other objects, then you can move the line and its endpoints about without any connecting at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Another thing you may want to try is create the line, then in the Connections Inspector disallow connections to other objects, then you can move the line and its endpoints about without any connecting at all.
That did the trick! It also helped to downsize the arrowhead to fit the context in which it is used, but that was obvious. It was your suggestion that was the key. Thank you.