The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please combine OmniPlan & OmniFocus into a comprehensive time management app Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hmmm..... Maybe this will actually provide that built-in calendar feature that some OF users have been longing for.

I know that the OmniFolks tend to steer us towards using iCal or an outside calendar for our "hard" dates (usually tasks that have to be done by a certain date such as Christmas shopping before Dec 25th or taxes by Apr 15th.)

But I also like to take a page from Zen-To-Done/Covey where I do my weekly review and flag three "Big Rocks" to do for the week. Then I schedule those Big Rocks into my weekly calendar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I know that the OmniFolks tend to steer us towards using iCal or an outside calendar for our "hard" dates (usually tasks that have to be done by a certain date such as Christmas shopping before Dec 25th or taxes by Apr 15th.)
A minor quibble: the tasks that have to be done by a certain date (pay bills, do holiday shopping) are well-suited for OmniFocus. Tasks that need to be done on a certain date (meet with lawyer, give lecture) are the ones typically referred to as the "hard landscape" and are thought by many to be more appropriately tracked on a calendar. I tend to use a hybrid approach as many of those tasks that happen at a fixed time ("meet with accountant to do year-end tax planning") probably are going to have a substantial preparation component ("collect latest brokerage statements and pay stub").

Hello everyone,

Anyone have any ideas about when OmniFocus 2.0 & OmniPlan 2.0 might become available? Any word on beta testing 2.0 versions of either?

Thanks,
Jeff

"Sometime in 2010" is all that Omni has been willing to say so far. There's at least one more revision of OmniFocus 1.x on both iPhone and Mac due out, and I really doubt they would want to ship 2.0 before that happens. I'd be surprised to see anything with a 2.0 label available to us before March at the earliest.

On other point: This doesn't seem to be an official, Omni-sponsered poll. At least Ken Case had no knowledge of it at the last Bay Area OmniFocus User Group meeting back in November.

I'm not sure who set up this poll, but even if it wasn't the Omni Group, I'm sure these same questions have
crossed their minds at some point.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhoytphoto View Post
Maybe a great compromise would be a full fledged Omnifocus with slimmed-down Omniplan features. Perhaps Omnifocus + Gannt 'lite' without too much resource tracking... more about personal milestone visualization and task grouping. Yeah? Need more features? Use Omniplan with Omnifocus integration.
I want to clarify that I'd find it very useful to actually have a subset of Plan's features within Focus for us single-workstation users. There's gotta be a pretty straightforward way to utilize the project's date (anchor date), its tasks' due dates and start dates (based off the anchor date or fixed) and the current date to display a gannt chart above or below the project entry. I want to glance at the project, see what's been completed, where I'm at and what's coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhoytphoto View Post
I want to clarify that I'd find it very useful to actually have a subset of Plan's features within Focus for us single-workstation users. There's gotta be a pretty straightforward way to utilize the project's date (anchor date), its tasks' due dates and start dates (based off the anchor date or fixed) and the current date to display a gannt chart above or below the project entry. I want to glance at the project, see what's been completed, where I'm at and what's coming up.
Yes, something like this for long-term project/daily task integration in one app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
[on 2009-09-24, 09:53 AM] We expect to release both OmniPlan 2 and OmniFocus 2 sometime in 2010.
Seems the iPad and iPhone have distracted from the mission. This worries me both because it seems it will be harder to release a well integrated anything if there are all these versions that have to integrate as well, and also because it seems like promise ware is being "released" to keep the fans from fleeing to the competition, making it harder for them to compete.

OP 1.7 just released to much fanfare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbrook View Post
Seems the iPad and iPhone have distracted from the mission. This worries me both because it seems it will be harder to release a well integrated anything if there are all these versions that have to integrate as well, and also because it seems like promise ware is being "released" to keep the fans from fleeing to the competition, making it harder for them to compete.

OP 1.7 just released to much fanfare?
I was wondering about this too. Well, 2010's not quite finished yet and MacWorld is right around the corner in January. I'm sure they're working on it and learning much from the iPhone and iPad versions which bodes well for future versions of the desktop apps since OS X seems to be evolving closer towards iOS, so I don't see it as much as a distraction as an effort to cover all the bases in a qualitative way and keeping up with Apple's advancement of the platform into mobile and the cloud...if they didn't have iPhone and iPad versions of OF people would be screaming about that...

But I too am looking forward to closer integration between these two time/productivity apps on mobile and the desktop...A lot of stuff to sync but I'm sure Omni Group can handle it.

I appreciate that, like Apple, Omni Group is concerned about bringing quality apps to market in contrast to rushing stuff to market and fixing it later; I'd rather wait for an app I can trust with my data than getting a mediocre Microsoft-caliber app soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailen View Post

Well, 2010's not quite finished yet and MacWorld is right around the corner in January.

...since OS X seems to be evolving closer towards iOS,...

...if they didn't have iPhone and iPad versions of OF people would be screaming about that...

...A lot of stuff to sync but I'm sure Omni Group can handle it....

...I'd rather wait for an app I can trust with my data than getting a mediocre Microsoft-caliber app soon.
You want to bet it's not out in 2010, as was expressed in September 2009? If they just released 1.7 of OP, I certainly don't hold out much hope of seeing OP 2.0 at Macworld.

Where did you read that OS X was evolving toward iOS? Maybe in appearances, but I doubt that is going to shave any substantial time off of development.

Screaming? Maybe, but that doesn't justify failing to follow through on other expectations. We all knew of iPhones and assumed iPads were coming in Sept. 2009.

I wish I could feel so confident they could handle the sync; I anticipated this need before either OF, OP, OO or OG were released. Omni was in a position to do this (integrate) from the start. Perhaps it was the rush to get it out the door that resulted in the lack of integration? And now they have to spend more time sorting it all out?

I'd rather a company not say they expect to release something they don't deliver and then have customers waiting in anticipation rather than look elsewhere for delivered goods. How many folks said, OK, I'll wait a year plus rather than switch? That's not fair to the customer or the competition.