The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gardening Stencil Isn't Working on iPad - Am I Missing Something Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I tried to download and install the gardening stencil found here:

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnigraffle/extras/

It's not working correctly. I can only see a few of the objects and the rest are there but look blank: I get the sizing squares when I tap in what looks like a blank portion of the document.

I've tried two approaches to getting the stencil onto my iPad: mailing it to myself (named both "gardening.gstencil" and "gardening.graffle") and by downloading it from Dropbox. In whatever permutation, same result: Mostly blank stencil.

pdxmph, I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing - the shapes in that stencil are all saved as PDFs, and they're fairly complex shapes. We suspect that the iPad is running out of memory when it tries to render them all.

This isn't something we were aware of, so I'll write this up for the team to have a look at. In the meantime, I re-saved the shapes as PNG bitmaps instead of PDFs and made a new stencil.

You can grab it from this link.

Thank you so much! I was on the fence about OmniGraffle for iPad, and the gardening stencil was what helped convince me. It was a drag when it didn't work.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
pdxmph, I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing - the shapes in that stencil are all saved as PDFs, and they're fairly complex shapes. We suspect that the iPad is running out of memory when it tries to render them all.

This isn't something we were aware of, so I'll write this up for the team to have a look at. In the meantime, I re-saved the shapes as PNG bitmaps instead of PDFs and made a new stencil.

You can grab it from this link.
Brian, I tried the link you posted and the .zip file has a folder in it with the .gstencil extension as part of the name. I can't add it to my iPad (I'm running Windows XP).

Pat, you should be able to add the file to your iPad through iTunes when the device is plugged into your computer. Here's a link to a page that describes how to do so.

Does that help?

Quote:
Pat, you should be able to add the file to your iPad through iTunes when the device is plugged into your computer. Here's a link to a page that describes how to do so.

Does that help?
That's what I tried to do, and I can add other stencils this way. However, the garden template's .gstencil is not a file, it's a folder, at least in the zip file I downloaded from this thread, so iTunes won't do anything with it.

In my Garden Stencil for iPad.gstencil folder I have a QuickLook folder, a data.plist file and then 56 png files.

Oooh, right - that stencil uses a feature of Mac OS X where certain folders are specially marked to be treated as if they were a single file. Sorry, I must have had too much blood in my caffeine stream when I posted yesterday!

Okay, I've re-saved the stencil to the FTP server, but now it's a flat file. Are you able to download the re-saved stencil? (The link above should still work.)

Sorry again for the confusion there!

Last edited by Brian; 2010-06-29 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: clarify that the previous link points to a new file

Quote:
Oooh, right - that stencil uses a feature of Mac OS X where certain folders are specially marked to be treated as if they were a single file. Sorry, I must have had too much blood in my caffeine stream when I posted yesterday!

Okay, I've re-saved the stencil to the FTP server, but now it's a flat file. Are you able to download the re-saved stencil? (The link above should still work.)

Sorry again for the confusion there!
Hi Brian-

Thanks, I was able to download the new file.

-Pat