The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exchange OmniOutliner documents with Windows Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I work at a company that highly appreciate Omni Software. We especially use OmniOutliner and OmniPlan to estimate and manage projects.

In the early stage of a project we use OmniOutliner to gather and to estimate requirements. To communicate these documents with our customers we mostly use pdf as they (Windows users) have no software to directly open and edit an outliner document.

I know that some OPML-Editors exist on Windows but as far as I could see they are not compatible with OmniOutliner.

Does anyone of you know a way how Windows and Mac users can collaboratively work on outliner documents?

Cheers,
Helmut

you can export Omni to Word, which will open in Windows. Word has outlining features which, while not exactly the same as OmniOutliner, are pretty powerful if not nearly as good looking as OO. Hope this helps

The Word Outliner will not recognize the Outline made in Omni - you will have to reorganize the entire document in Word. Thus this is not much of a solution.

Export>Word (HTML) is useful within limits.
  1. It works if your outline has five or less levels of nesting. Beyond header level 6 all rows are flattened to Normal paragraphs in Word.
  2. It does not properly handle the export of columns.

Finding a Windows app that reads/writes OPML of arbitrary nesting depth should not be impossible.

The search for a Windows app that correctly interprets OO columns from OPML will be harder, as they are encoded as non-standard OPML attributes.

It might be worth looking at the OO Exports Plug-in on the OO Extras Page

One of the supported export formats is Excel XML.

Last edited by RobTrew; 2008-03-27 at 09:14 PM..

Bumping this up as I have the need to collaborate with others who use Windows. Any new windows apps out there that work for this (that I can simply export the file in a way we can send files back and forth)?

Last edited by DeaconPatrick; 2011-05-16 at 10:21 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconPatrick View Post
Bumping this up as I have the need to collaborate with others who use Windows. Any new windows apps out there that work for this (that I can simply export the file in a way we can send files back and forth)?
Wanted to ask the same because as a student it came in pretty handy. The only
gripe I have as DeaconPatrick already mentioned that the sending of files back and forth is the only thing holding me back to purchase this product.