The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Working around a single context/Tags Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thank you for the tip, whpalmer4.

Brian, your "perspectives search" seems to be working as long as I continue to 'tag' the appropriate people tied to each deal from the get-go.

Another perspective + search that I think will help me is assigning another perspective for different types of deals...Promos and Trials e.g.

I didn't want to create separate folders for each, because I still wanted them to fall under the given rep's folder for doing reviews with the rep, even if the waiting for was assigned to the customer. But, during my own reviews I still like to look at all active promos (rep agnostic) and trials separately from the regular deals. This way I can do so by clicking a perspective labeled Promos, yet still see who all I'm waiting on, or click the Jim perspective to see his promos, trials, deals, and those projects he's assigned to, even if he doesn't currently own the active context that I thought was the best fit at the time.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Something to be aware of here: Brian's solution will only show you the actions in those projects which contain the search string.
That's not what I'm seeing, Bill - I'm getting all the actions in projects that have Bob in the notes. See attached screenshot.

Macers, yes, you'll still need to add those notes to your projects for the perspective to work.

One additional advantage - if someone's name appears in the task but not the project note, that project will be visible here, though it will behave like Bill described in his post.

You can then re-file the action if it was accidentally put in the wrong project, or you can add the person to the note for the project if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OmniFocusScreenSnapz001.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2735  

Ah, but if you have a project that has an action assigned to Bob, but you don't have anything in the notes or name of the project with the string "bob" it won't appear....

In other words, you've got to be marking the project as having Bob involved; simply assigned a task to Bob won't get you the visibility you probably want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Ah, but if you have a project that has an action assigned to Bob, but you don't have anything in the notes or name of the project with the string "bob" it won't appear....
Correct, which is why I recommended macers start the call by checking the person's context, then use the perspective after that was done. :-)

Macers, I too sometimes use the Notes field to assign items to individuals with a kind of tag. What I use is a slash before the person's initials, such as /RB for myself.

If I searched just for "RB" I could get a bunch of results that included words like "carbon" or "hairbrush". Adding the slash before the initials means my search results will include ONLY those items I've "tagged" for specific people.

I'm a recent convert to openmeta, MailTags, nvAlt and Leap for file tagging on the Mac.

For significant projects I'll have a Notes file (Markdown, or Taskpaper) with the same name as an Omnifocus project (since I'll want to keep the notes long after the Omnifocus project is complete).

What I've been doing is tagging my note and including in it a link to the Omnifocus project.

Typically I'll also drop a shortcut to the Note (file) in the Omnifocus project notes.

This is working pretty well for me and allows me to get to an Omnifocus entry from a tag pretty quickly.

(BTW I have a nifty script that scans a text file for #... strings and adds the result as an openmeta tag - great in conjunction with Hazel - if anyone's interested...)