The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

More on perspectives Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
More feedback on perspectives:

(1) Perspectives are too "sticky". If I select an perspective that puts me in context mode and then I change to planning mode, OF shouldn't think I'm still in the perspective. For example, I have a "Due Today" perspective that puts me in context mode. If I then switch to planning mode, OF acts like I'm still in my "Due Today" perspective (title says "Perspective: Due Today", the "Due Today" toolbar icon is in the depressed state). Switching modes/filter settings should clear the current perspective.

(2) The "Take Snapshot of <Perspective Name>" menu item is confusing to me. What does it do, exactly? Does it change my perspective to fit the current view? Why would I want to do that? Doesn't a "Make new Perspective" item make more sense?

(3) The "Clear Perspective" menu item is too destructive. Why does it change any settings? Combined with item (1), it seems like there is no way to tell OF that you're not in a particular perspective anymore, but that you're happy with the current settings. This seems really bizarre to me.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
More feedback on perspectives:

(1) Perspectives are too "sticky". If I select an perspective that puts me in context mode and then I change to planning mode, OF shouldn't think I'm still in the perspective. For example, I have a "Due Today" perspective that puts me in context mode. If I then switch to planning mode, OF acts like I'm still in my "Due Today" perspective (title says "Perspective: Due Today", the "Due Today" toolbar icon is in the depressed state). Switching modes/filter settings should clear the current perspective.
Since you have the option to have perspectives apply to both views, we keep track of it, as otherwise you'll be confused when you switch back and suddenly a perspective lights up (maybe not... but this was some of the reasoning).

We'll keep this in mind as we get more feedback.

Quote:
(2) The "Take Snapshot of <Perspective Name>" menu item is confusing to me. What does it do, exactly? Does it change my perspective to fit the current view? Why would I want to do that? Doesn't a "Make new Perspective" item make more sense?
"Snapshot" applies the current settings in the current window to the currently selected Perspective. So, if you, say... made a perspective that had the wrong settings, and then adjusted them, you would use the snapshot item to update that perspective for next time.

Quote:
(3) The "Clear Perspective" menu item is too destructive. Why does it change any settings? Combined with item (1), it seems like there is no way to tell OF that you're not in a particular perspective anymore, but that you're happy with the current settings. This seems really bizarre to me.

Chris
The "Clear Perspective" isn't supposed to change settings... that might be a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
The "Clear Perspective" isn't supposed to change settings...
Actually, yes, it is. If you choose a perspective but then decide you want to return to the default view, this is how you do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
Since you have the option to have perspectives apply to both views, we keep track of it, as otherwise you'll be confused when you switch back and suddenly a perspective lights up (maybe not... but this was some of the reasoning).
Personally, I find the current behavior much more confusing. What you describe as confusing is actually how I expected it to behave. (I want the perspective to light back up when OF returns to that state---that way I know I'm back to exactly the same state.) In any case, it really obliterates the whole idea of a perspective if the user can change every setting and OF still acts like it's in the original perspective. It's very strange to be looking at planning mode and all my projects but have the window title be "Perspective: Due Today". That's just Wrong.

A side comment; I find the "Also restore settings for other mode" language to be very confusing. I would use "save" or "remember" instead of "restore".

Quote:
"Snapshot" applies the current settings in the current window to the currently selected Perspective. So, if you, say... made a perspective that had the wrong settings, and then adjusted them, you would use the snapshot item to update that perspective for next time.
In that case, I think "Take New Snapshot of ..." or "Resave Snapshot of ..." would be clearer. I already have a snapshot, afterall.

Another side comment. The built-in perspectives are "Remaining Items", "Due Items", etc. Shouldn't these be "Remaining Actions", "Due Actions", etc, since they always return the user to context mode?

Quote:
The "Clear Perspective" isn't supposed to change settings... that might be a bug.
If as Ken says, the behavior is as intended, then again the name seems misleading. It's frustrating to be "stuck" in a perspective even after changing modes and a bunch of filter settings and have no way to escape the perspective without also returning the settings to some unknown previous state. I was certainly surprised when "Clear Perspective" rearranged everything.

"Take Snapshot of Perspective" should be "Update Saved Perspective" or "Update <Perspective Name>".

There's also a bug in the save perspective. I assume it's supposed to open the perspectives window with the name selected and ready to edit always, but it doesn't do that the first time. If it is always supposed to open the perspectives window, then the command for the first save should be "Save window as new perspective..." (note the ellipis) and once saved should say "Update <perspective name>".

Finally, there should be a "Save window as new perspective..." always available, so you can make one perspective, make a couple of changes, and save it as a new perspective, without having to do it in the perspectives window.

(Filed as feedback, because, why not?)

Sorry for my bad English them (google translation)...

I would like to find again the last state opening of perspective.

It can enter preferences Perspective of a "remember status"?... or take an auto-snapshot?

Andrea

Last edited by picknick; 2008-02-27 at 03:02 AM..

I explained badly. I like to maintain the status display group projects (open or closed) without having to take a snapshot every time.

Certainly it would be useful to keep the filters ... I find it very explanatory function of iGTD2 workspaces.

One could add this option in the settings of each perspective?

I hope to be more clear

Maybe there should be a little more visual distinction between the default and when a perspective is active, like a different colored border or background... something that reminds you at a glance that you're in a perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
"Take Snapshot of Perspective" should be "Update Saved Perspective" or "Update <Perspective Name>".
(Filed as feedback, because, why not?)
I agree with this. I found the snapshot terminology confusing.

It is what they call the similar feature in OmniWeb (Workspaces), so I guess it got carried over.