The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

"Today" view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The original poster in this thread asked for a way in OF to match the Today focus in Things - which does include overdue items (your "past not done item"). If you want to have a list of only items for today, then try what mmurray stated above: use the flag option to mark items for Today and select the "flagged" state for the Flag Filter in the View Bar. Each day you can add and remove flags from your items to get the list you want for that day.

if I have to mark for today... what is the usefulness of OF in this respect?

thanks

alessandro

It's usefulness is that OF allows you to mark for today if that is what you want to do. Apparently, you don't want to do that. Apparently, you want OF to give you only tasks that you have scheduled as due today (I'm guessing now, since I'm no longer sure what you want) but not tasks that are overdue for some reason. OF does not do that as far as I know. Most time or task management systems, OF included, make the assumption that if you want to see what is due today, you also want to see what is past due. Things also makes this assumption, which is what the OP originally asked. So, if that is what you actually want, you might want to file a feature request for a "Today Only" feature or perspective.

My own concern on this is similar to above comments but maybe I can restate it a little better.

For example, I am scheduling a buch of projects and task, say one instance this happens is in a grocery list. I list everything I need from the store but am not sure when I will be able to go, for whatever reason I cannot place a firm date on it. As of now I have a today list set up to show all task which have a start date equal to today or previous dates. However, if there is no start date the task still show up as available - which makes sense. To counter this I put flags on the items I DON'T want to see and have a perspective for that, called someday. Obviously this has some problems as I loose functionality and also the someday list can build up until I forget which items are there.

I would be happy if I could have a perspective or setting which would only show items with a set start date and hide items without a start date.

Thanks,

Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker1181 View Post

I would be happy if I could have a perspective or setting which would only show items with a set start date and hide items without a start date.
Have you tried grouping by start date in context mode, closing the group for "No start date" and saving as a perspective?

I exactly want a "from today on" perspective, thanks for your answers...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Have you tried grouping by start date in context mode, closing the group for "No start date" and saving as a perspective?
That would work but I loose the neat organization which was essential. Before I would glance at my day by looking at the whole picture and context, all done without touching anything. If there was a way to divide the contexts this would be near perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker1181 View Post
That would work but I loose the neat organization which was essential. Before I would glance at my day by looking at the whole picture and context, all done without touching anything. If there was a way to divide the contexts this would be near perfect.
Group by start, sort by context?

If you mean you need a dividing line between adjacent contexts, there's an app for that: OmniDazzle :-)

That is what I mean, but I don't understand how to use Dazzle to do this.

I was kidding -- you could draw some lines on your screen with OmniDazzle to separate the sections, but it's not really a practical suggestion.