The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webkit vs OmniWeb 5.10 sneaky peek Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

The last version of webkit is 4.0.2. (last safari update)
The last version of webkit inside OmniWeb 5.10 sneaky peek is 4.0.1 (jul 08, 2009).

The webkit is a important part of 0S X (that's why webkit update require a reboot) and is common to Safari, iTunes and other mac apps.

So my question is: If I want the more stable OmniWeb 5.10 sneaky peek, do I have to keep webkit 4.0.1? Does a different version of webkit in OS X and in sneaky peek could make unstability? Or no matter the webkit version?

Hope to be understood

Last edited by sangheeta; 2009-07-09 at 10:19 AM..

They are all separate applications, so don't worry. You can have any version of OmniWeb loaded, plus Safari 4.02, plus even a webkit nightly build.

Developers of applications have the choice of using the system-wide frameworks, or their own copy built-in to the application. The recent Safari update changes the system-wide WebKit framework which is used by multiple applications to do HTML rendering, so that's why the reboot happens(*). If you use an OmniWeb sneaky peek or a WebKit nightly build, you'll be using the copy of the WebKit framework inside that application (use ctrl-click or right-click on the app, then select Show Package Contents from the resulting menu to see all the stuff lurking under the surface). Without the ability to use a private copy of a framework like this, development and testing would be (more of) a real PITA!

(*) I'm not 100% convinced that a reboot is truly necessary, as opposed to restarting all applications that use the affected frameworks, but using the big hammer does eliminate any uncertainty about whether or not everyone is using the correct version!