The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Simple iCal Notification for Repeating Actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been looking for a simple way to have notifications for common recurring actions, such as paying credit cards, bills, etc.

The manual covers repeating tasks fairly well, and I've read the recently active thread on complicated recurring actions:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5970

as well as the FAQ:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6630

and the iPhone sticky tread:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13131

And the manual which refers to syncing to iCal via contexts, but none of those answers the simple question:

"Given a repeating task (such as 'pay credit card bill'), how do I get iCal to give me a reminder?"

I don't have projects or contexts associated with simple repeating tasks that need to be done every week/month/quarter. To me, 'call for air-con service' doesn't warrant a project to be done every quarter, though it might a 'phone' context. The problem I see in syncing my @phone context to iCal would be that I don't want every @phone to give me a reminder.

How are people scheduling actions & reminders for the simple, week-to-week & month-to-month actions? At the moment I put them directly into iCal, but then they don't appear as actions in OF.

Cheers,
- Steve

I put them in OmniFocus, with a start date a few days in advance, and a due date. I also use a "tickler" perspective every day which shows me all the actions that started that day. That gives me the initial signal, looking at my due soon list gives another.

If you wanted to be a bit more thorough, you could set up a repeating action group or project that tracked receiving the bill as well as paying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I put them in OmniFocus, with a start date a few days in advance, and a due date. I also use a "tickler" perspective every day which shows me all the actions that started that day. That gives me the initial signal, looking at my due soon list gives another.

If you wanted to be a bit more thorough, you could set up a repeating action group or project that tracked receiving the bill as well as paying it.
Is there anyway for OF to give a pop-up reminder in this case? I.e. I'd like to start the day with a few growl/iCal reminder windows up telling me what the important action that's due today is.

Regards,
- Steve

Yes, OmniFocus will give a growl notification upon an action becoming Availble, Due Soon, and Overdue. Set Growl's preferences to leave them on the screen and you're all set. As a bonus, if you click on the OmniFocus icon in such a notification, you'll be taken to a new OmniFocus window that contains the item that triggered the notification.