The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Defering recurring tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

I have recurring tasks that need to start on a particular day of the month (for example, checking last month's income starts on the 1st), but that don't necessarliy need to be completed on that day. When that day comes along I sometimes move the start date on a few days to get it out of my view until I'm ready to complete it. This affects the start date of future occurances though, is there any way around this, other than manually amending the start date before checking it off?

Thanks.

I wrote an Applescript to handle cases like this, which I've attached to this post.

See this thread for details of how to install and use Applescript with Omni applications: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7453

To use my script, you just select the repeating action you want to temporarily reschedule. It makes a duplicate of the action, which you reschedule as desired. The duplicate will not repeat, and the original is altered to fire when it would next be scheduled on the original schedule. This way you don't have to remember to reset the start date before completing the current action.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reschedule Repeating Task.scpt.zip (6.0 KB, 511 views)

Thanks for the reply, forgot to mention I only have iOS devices though.

All is not lost! There's a trick you can use with the iOS apps to achieve the same thing.

Go to the project that contains the repeating action. Change the view settings (with the eyeball icon) to show all actions. Now check the repeating action as complete, then immediately uncheck it. Marking it complete will create the next one, to be done as scheduled, and marking it incomplete will bring it back so you can complete it again. Edit it to set your new start date, and remove the repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
All is not lost! There's a trick you can use with the iOS apps to achieve the same thing.

Go to the project that contains the repeating action. Change the view settings (with the eyeball icon) to show all actions. Now check the repeating action as complete, then immediately uncheck it. Marking it complete will create the next one, to be done as scheduled, and marking it incomplete will bring it back so you can complete it again. Edit it to set your new start date, and remove the repeat.
Good idea, this could be the answer!

Clever trick :-) Look forward to using it.