The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ressource Schedule Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all

I'm evaluating omniplan for my work and started a test project.
I created a few resources (3 employees and 1 "tool" which is actually a conference room). The conference room is only available on mondays so I changed the availability to mondays only in the calendar view.
I assigned a few tasks to this resource and thought omniplan would schedule these tasks to mondays only but it's not. Looks like it doesn't care what's set in the availability for this resource?
Would be great if someone could help me with this, I'm probably doing something wrong?

Thank you

olivero

can nobody help here?

Thank you
olivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoem.cc View Post
what's omniplan?.....
The product OmniPlan: http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniplan/
This should be the forum about this product?!

I try to write it a bit clearer:
I created a few resources (3 employees and 1 "tool" which is actually a conference room). The conference room is only available on mondays so I changed the availability to mondays only in the calendar view.
I assigned a few tasks to this resource and thought omniplan would schedule these tasks to mondays only (because the conference room is only available on mondays) but it's not. Looks like it doesn't care what's set in the availability for this resource?
Would be great if someone could help me with this, I'm probably doing something wrong?

Very good point. I would love to know why this happens and whether the schedule option of resources is hence not that helpful. Moderators please advise!

The problem is that you assigned multiple resources to that task, one of them having a more restrictive schedule (the conference room) than the others. OmniPlan's scheduling algorithm figures any time that any of the assigned resources are available, progress can be made, so it schedules that task and whatever resources are available. I'm not aware of any way to tell OmniPlan that all resources assigned must be available to schedule a task. If you think this shortcoming seems to rule out a lot of potential uses for OmniPlan, we'd be in agreement!

I've attached an example where I haven't assigned anything except the conference room to the meeting. The meeting is properly scheduled on Monday, which is the only day on the conference room's schedule. The second example shows how things go off the rails when another resource with greater availability is assigned to the task. If you'd like to see this improved, use Help->Send Feedback in the app to make a request.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-10-04 at 1.16.32 PM.png
Views:	788
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-10-04 at 1.16.58 PM.png
Views:	776
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2575