The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Maximum possible objects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello.

First let me say that you Omni Group folks are brilliant! I love your software. Specifically OmniGraffle and Focus.

My question today is on OmniGraffle. I've written an AppleScript that builds a cloud-style population map of a video game. Anyway, the map's reached 4600+ objects counting shapes and lines.

What's the critical mass point, if any, of OmniGraffle? 10k? 100k? Memory limit?

Thanks ahead of time, and I apologize if this is some where on the forums. I did a search, but couldn't find anything... or used the wrong terms.

Memory limit, most definitely.

Thanks. Time to start trimming the fat.

Just hit 5k objects and 400 MB of Real Memory use...

My guess is that disabling shadows on the shapes, among other things, will reduce the memory footprint. Can you give me any hints on how to keep the memory usage as low as possible?

Turning off shadows is a good start -- If you have placed images, they will chew up memory as well. In the past, I've seen a combination of a large number of objects plus a very large canvas do bad things, but that seems to have gotten better with subsequent releases.