The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

assigning inbox item to project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't get it; I created an action item in the inbox. Then I went back and assigned it to an existing project, using the drop down list. It still shows up in the inbox and does not show up in the project.

Is this default behavior?

Brian

Yes, actions stay in the inbox until swept out to their projects with the Clean Up command. See the Data page of the preferences for settings to control the behavior. I use "Both a project and a context" and "Clean up completed Inbox items" because I don't want actions filed into the rest of the database until I've set both a project and a context, and sometimes tasks in my inbox will have a short enough lifetime before completion that they get done on the spot (DA's two minute policy).

Have you watched the various videos available on the OmniFocus web page? I think a new user should watch them, try the program out for a day or two, then watch them again. There's a lot to absorb, no question about it!

Thanks for your help whpalmer4. I appreciate it.

I'm getting frustrated because I've spent all day working on something that should be intuitive. I am familiar enough with GTD, so that's not a problem.

Videos... Managing tasks in software should be simple - not requiring a 45 minute video. I wish they'd break down that video to shorter segments.

My biggest problem is that OF doesn't support "Areas of Responsibility" or "roles" (or, Horizons of Focus). I need to glance at these areas to get the quick picture for the day.

I did watch the quick-start, fairly basic.

What do you think it needs to do to support your vision of what Areas of Responsibility or Roles are? Tell me that, and I'll explain how to use OF to do just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What do you think it needs to do to support your vision of what Areas of Responsibility or Roles are? Tell me that, and I'll explain how to use OF to do just that.
Thanks for the help.

Roles
I have 8 calendars in iCal, all representing my different areas of responsibility with life and business.

I want to be able to create an errand for "business #1" or "business #2" and then in omnifocus (on mac and iphone), if I'm presently working for Business #1, I want to view all my related todo's for that role, and nothing else for the moment. Likewise for Business #2.

If I'm waiting on a call back, or for someone else associated with business #2 to do something, I want to be able to view all "Waiting For" for business #2 only.

I'll watch the long video to get a better understanding of the software.

Contexts:
Being a bit A.D.D., I have trouble with systems. This is why I like the ability in other apps to put multiple tags on something. This way, I don't have to think too much about the "right" tag. If I'm going to talk to my wife on the phone about her bookkeeping for my business #1, I want to tag the ToDo as Phone, Spouse, and Business #1. And possibly later, I may want to add the tag "Waiting For".

Thanks,
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I don't want actions filed into the rest of the database until I've set both a project and a context,
that makes sense.