The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Make these three changes and I'd switch to OmniWeb from Firefox! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
1. Add an option for traditional tabbed browsing. The drawer-style tabbing may appeal to some, but you know the old saying: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Traditional tabbed browsing will attract more people.

2. Get rid of the website icons in the favorites toolbar. They're awful-looking and space-wasting.

3. Add a dropdown menu for the favorites toolbar instead of putting all of them in it.

1. traditionnal tabs are ugly and take place.
2. the icons in the favorites bar are handy, because you can put only the icons instead of the site name. It take less space, so you can put more of them. I have 24 site icons in my favorites bar + 3 folders and my favorite bar is not full !
3. dropdownmenu? ? kesako??……………

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangheeta View Post
1. traditionnal tabs are ugly and take place.
Well, we're going to have to disagree. Simple is better.

Quote:
2. the icons in the favorites bar are handy, because you can put only the icons instead of the site name. It take less space, so you can put more of them. I have 24 site icons in my favorites bar + 3 folders and my favorite bar is not full !
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, friend.

Quote:
3. dropdownmenu? ? kesako??……………
Yes.

Note the arrow. That's what I mean. Three, four lines of bookmarks and their favicons? No thanks.

I've heard Firefox called "subpar," but I can't see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George in Cincinnati View Post

Note the arrow. That's what I mean. Three, four lines of bookmarks and their favicons? No thanks.
Create a folder in your Favourites. Insert all bookmarks into the folder. Click folder in the favourites bar to view and scroll through all your bookmarks. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Create a folder in your Favourites. Insert all bookmarks into the folder. Click folder in the favourites bar to view and scroll through all your bookmarks. Problem solved.
I prefer direct links in the toolbar.

I'm picky.

How are they direct if they aren't visible in your toolbar (as in your screenshot)? Surely if that is what you want, then OmniWeb's expansion of the favourites bar downwards to show all your bookmarks is better for you than having them 'fall off the edge' like they do in Safari and Firefox?

Regardless, keep your most important bookmarks as standalones in the favourites bar, and put the rest in a folder at the end and you have mimicked what you have with Firefox.

I don't really care about 2 & 3, but 1 is something I have been wanting for years. I want traditional tabs as an option. It's one of the very few things that irritates me about OmniWeb.

It's amazing how opinions change. Personally I was staunchly opposed the the vertical tab bar. Now I realize how insanely cumbersome trying to manage horizontal tabs would be. If light browsing by means of 3-4 tabs was all that one ever used then fine I see no need for vertical tabs, but the reality is that OW is aiming at the more complex demanding users. In this light, I personally never have less than 20 tabs open in OW at a time other will testify to having similar usage profiles. So your metaphor does not really have any relevance. Not its not broken, but it has been expanded upon for power users. Nonetheless, options for everyone is always preferable in my opinion.

2. agree-waste of space if Fav icons are disabled as I do.

3. eh? favorites, drop down menu? I don't follow you. It's a sub menu of the Personal Bookmarks. Do you mean have an independent menu for it? Can't you just remember the key commands "command+1-9,0"? of your favorite? much faster than pulling a menu down.

Lastly, Im not sure how particular you are when it comes to control of a browser but I can honestly say there is no possible way I could deal with having to use a sub par browser such as FF every day. No offense, but that browser is less than mediocre in IMO an grossly overhyped. I have and use FF3 it for no more than 30 mins a day for a specific task, and for that reason it just isn't up to the same spec as other browsers. If i were to run windows then perhaps i'd consider it to be my default browser but that is largely due to the lack of better browsers on that platform. Whatever keeps ya rollin i suppose.

Last edited by Drayon; 2008-10-30 at 06:27 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by George in Cincinnati View Post
1. Add an option for traditional tabbed browsing. The drawer-style tabbing may appeal to some, but you know the old saying: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Here we are in complete agreement. Please, don't get rid of the vertical tabs! There are plenty of other browsers to use (Firefox, for example) if one doesn't like OmniWeb's beautiful tab drawer with its window thumbnails.