The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting order of Actions in planning mode. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All,

I'm wondering about the use of sorting behavior in planning mode. I'm trying to cleanup the Actions of a Project, by selecting them all (including completed ones), and then use the contextual menu Sort -> By Day Added.
When I do this, they sort, but .... upside down! The last action goes to the top of the action list. Since actions are (usually) sequential downwards, i don't understand this sorting order.
Anybody knows why this was chosen? Is there a trick to sort to last added Action at the bottom of the list?

Thanks for any advice.

This is GTD thing.
The last task that you entered is the task you will deal with last.
Tasks that are older needs your attention before newly entered tasks.
Deal with the old before you deal with the new sort of...

I think there's some confusion in terminology here. The most-recently-entered task (newest) gets sorted at the top, and the oldest gets sorted at the bottom. In other words, it does a descending sort by timestamp.

I think rdjong wants it to do an ascending sort by timestamp.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, rdjong. My impression is that Omni Group picked the sort algorithm they thought most people would find most useful. OmniFocus generally seems to sort from most recent to most distant (future or past), so I think it's consistent across the app. Ideally, it would allow you to sort in either direction, perhaps toggling every time you re-sorted the list or maybe doing the opposite when the Option key key pressed.

As an aside, you mention that you're selecting the sort option from the contextual menu. Do you mean you're Control-clicking or right-clicking the selection and choosing the option from the resulting contextual menu?

If so, what version of OmniFocus are you using? The reason I ask, is that in the 1.0.2 sneakypeak version (rev 99863) that I'm running, the sort options no longer exist in the contextual menu. They only seem to be available from the menu bar at Edit -> Sort -> By Data Added. I'm wondering if they were removed on purpose or if this is a regression.

Hmm, yes I am confusing things with the inbox where the new is located at the bottom. But sorting does not affect items in the inbox.