The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Someday/Maybe/On Hold Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to both omnifocus and GTD, so I hope you will help me clear this up. Where should "some day/maybe"-projects go? Should they be put in a context, a folder, a bucket, a project?

I think there are various schools of thought on this - there's no one hardwired way to do this.

I keep mine as projects within areas-of-responsbility folders that are themselves within a Someday/Maybe folder that is set (via contextual menu) as not active. That keeps the whole shebang hidden unless I'm viewing All Projects.

I currently keep my "someday soon" items in OmniFocus as regular projects that are marked "On Hold" (by right-clicking in the sidebar or using the inspector). My longer term someday/maybe items I keep in a separate OmniOutliner document. Having my more far out ideas outside of OF seems to give me permission to dream a bit more.

Curt

Thank you Curt. This works well. As I understand you, for you "status: on hold" is synonymous with someday/maybe, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanthano View Post
Thank you Curt. This works well. As I understand you, for you "status: on hold" is synonymous with someday/maybe, right?
Mostly. On hold for me is for the someday/maybe items that I am committed to sufficiently so that I've started doing some planning on them.

Curt

Thank you Craig. It works. It took me a little while to find how to make folders inactive, but now I found it (ctrl-click on the folder).

Last edited by lanthano; 2007-12-19 at 12:56 AM..

I would like to do exactly what Craig is doing, but if I use the contextual menu for a folder in the left pane with Projects selected, the check next to "Active" is there, but there is no way to toggle it off. All I see is "Active...Dropped...Focus... Open" and a few others, but there is no "On Hold" Option... actually I would just like the set to "InActive" because, as was mentioned by some else here. "On Hold" implies that it is active but just deferred for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I think there are various schools of thought on this - there's no one hardwired way to do this.

I keep mine as projects within areas-of-responsbility folders that are themselves within a Someday/Maybe folder that is set (via contextual menu) as not active. That keeps the whole shebang hidden unless I'm viewing All Projects.

There's no "inactive" setting for folders. You have to set them to "Dropped". Elsewhere on the forums we've discussed whether inactive would be a better term, since dropped connotes something stronger than inactive. All in all though, the behavior is the same as "inactive", regardless of the term used.

Curt

Hmmm. "Dropped" may work, but sad that it's so counter-intuitive to the principle of GTD "Someday/Maybe" which is meant precisely to include creative ideas that you do *not* intend to drop.

If I decide, that really, in this life I probably will never learn to speak Zulu, and postpone that for my next birth in Africa, I would truly drop the idea and not keep it in "someday/maybe" tickler context.

I'll give it more thought. I really don't want to keep going back to OF and seeing "dropped" when, sub-consciously, that's just wrong. Even "Hold" would make some sort of reasonable sense, but is not available for folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post

I started out with pen and paper, you know, outside the computer..so I have a someday/maybe bamboo magazine file folder thing where I have notes of things I'd like to someday tackle. When its time to see them in my weekly review I just read through them to remind me of what I want to accomplish and if i'm ready for one, type it in OF.

If an idea from somday/maybe is close to becoming a reality i'll create a project for it and put it on hold. Then when I'm set and ready it'll be active.

Edit: I quoted you cause I def. agree there is no one set way of doing this, nor any aspect of GTD. That's the great thing, everyone tweaks their OF to their likings.