The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Export to S5 and Dream Workflow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just tried exporting to the S5 slideshow format using the XSLT plugin created by Bruce Darcus:
http://community.muohio.edu/blogs/da...wer-of-xmlxslt
Once I realized that I had to have the s5-11 folder at the same level as my HTML file, everything worked.
I might use this as part of my actual workflow. Not that it's necessarily better than exporting to Keynote, but it has the advantage of producing something everyone can read. In this case, I want to provide my students with a document format they can use. I used to produce screen and print PDFs by exporting OO to LaTeX. But I'd like something more convenient. I eventually started producing PowerPoint files, because they're a de facto standard. But I'd like something based on open standards and a more straightforward workflow.

In a way, this is getting back to early outliners. Even MORE had a (rudimentary) presentation feature. Can't we get an outliner which we can use to show "slides" and also produce a printable outline?

What I imagine as a workflow...
  • I take notes in an outliner.
  • I structure those notes into a "lesson plan."
  • From that "lesson plan," I produce both a "slideshow" and an outline (for students to follow along).
  • In class, I display the "slideshow" and students can contribute notes in the outline version.
  • I can use a "slide" as a place to take notes, in an outline format. Kind of a structured whiteboard. This is especially useful when I ask students about what they want to discuss. I reorganize the outline in something I find logical and we can have a structured discussion.
  • Everything we cover in class is clearly labeled.
  • Once the class is over, I distribute the modified outline to students so they can go back to it if they need to.
  • I produce a "slidecast" with synchronisation between the "slides" and the audio recording from the classroom.
  • I distribute "slidecasts" in a format which works on diverse devices, either streaming or download.

Of course, this is "pie in the sky." But I'm relatively close to this, with PowerPoint and lecture podcasts. That's why I keep dreaming about this.

Standard formats would help a lot. OPML is nice but I'd like a standard for "slideshows."

And I know this isn't likely to appear in OO4 or even OO5. But there's a lot of potential for something going back to the outline and presentation paradigm.