The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

To Do and Note Taking - A great combination Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omnifocus appears to be a great application with the potential to become greater. I attend a lot of meetings and so do my colleagues across industries. The two things they do regularly is Take Notes and Create Action Items / To Dos. Wouldn't it be great to do them from the same place?

Imagine if you will, an application that allows you to take notes. While doing so, you think of something that you need to make sure gets done so you insert a check box right into the body of your note and type the name of the action item or to do. The item remains in your notes but also contains a link to the "to do" list for quick access. The new "to do" item is now in your notes and in your inbox for quick attribute assignment. When you complete an item, it's checked in the notes and in the "to do" list. If note taking could be as cool as WritePad, even better (includes handwriting recognition).

Anyway, I've thought about this a lot and have quite a following that would agree with the concept. If you have further questions on the concept, please let me know. Maybe you'll consider it for an upcoming release. I hope so.

Absolutely right!

The sooner this is done, the more likely the Omni Group is to make lots of money. This is the killer app for most execs who use the iPad at work. And if the love the iPad, you can be sure their teams will love the iPad, and the killer app on the iPad! As a CIO who has introduced ipads to the organization... Help! This combination will alter the usefulness of the iPad, and will sell lots of copies of the app that brings this capability to market first.

I was taking notes in a meeting today and adding action items in my notebook to type into Omni Focus later. This idea would save time (and lives too.)

This is definitely an idea that - if implemented - I would use constantly. I go to a lot of meetings, and take a lot of notes (using my iPad). Then I go back to my office at the end of the day, or at home that evening, and review the notes to transfer any actions that need to be put into OF. Having this automated would be great! And I may be wrong here, but my guess is that there are a lot of OF users out there that use the same basic process that I do, I know I'm not the only one that seems to spend a large chunk of time in meetings...

Sounds a lot like what Circus Ponies Notebook does at the moment ;-)

All they have to do is merge OmniOutliner and OmniFocus. Or somehow let them interoperate together very nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blysik View Post
All they have to do is merge OmniOutliner and OmniFocus. Or somehow let them interoperate together very nicely.
Or go for a common file format >> OF, OO ( and maybe other software like OG) would be powerful front ends to display and work with this data.

I use Evernote extensively for note taking. Frequently, I'll be in meetings where I want to take freeform notes that don't really belong in an OmniFocus action items list, so I'll have both Evernote and OmniFocus up on my MBP. This isn't really an option on the iPad, so I'd love to see an integration between the two so that I can have one of those apps up and enter data that appears in the other.

Have u tried Notebooks App?
full tex search, syncing, tasklist integration.
Very reliable on iPhone, now even better on iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussommer@mac.com View Post
Have u tried Notebooks App?
full tex search, syncing, tasklist integration.
Very reliable on iPhone, now even better on iPad.
I tried it out about a week ago and love it. In fact, I took all of my notes that I had on my iPad and iPhone in Evernote and moved them over to Notebooks.

Last edited by atreinke; 2010-06-08 at 01:53 AM..