The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF for software development projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I recently got back into using OmniFocus after having fallen off the wagon for quite some time. Things are going smoothly so far. However, I'm curious as to how to approach software development projects. I would be very interested to hear how other developers flesh out their projects in OF. Do any of the Omni engineers manage their development projects in OF? I'm hitting a bit of a wall trying to determine what contexts to use and such. "Mac" or "Xcode" seem a little too generic and thusly aren't really that helpful.

Check out this post…

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...43&postcount=6

I don't see a problem with contexts being too general. Take a "Mac" context for example. That is for the situation where you find yourself in front of your Mac and you are looking for something to do. You should be presented with a list of next actions that can be done right now, available time allowing.

If you want to focus on a particular client or project then you should be using the Projects view for that.

An Xcode context might be OK for you, but I find that I don't have an Xcode mind space. I don't casually open Xcode and start hacking on stuff, unlike Aperture which I'll often open even though I have no specific task to do, but because I'm in the mood for mucking about with photos.

I open Xcode because I have a project I want to work on so I will use the project view.

I'd suggest creating a bunch of contexts that make sense to you and see how it goes. You can always change them later. I've changed my contexts heaps of times and now I some fairly standard ones that are working well for me.