The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus with Evernote Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm using OF for GTD process and Evernote just for filing reference material. My question is:
Is there a possibilty to link Evernote notes to actions in OF?
Tried hard to find a way but haven't found a solution yet.

Well, you can use clippings with the web version. With Safari, just hit cmd-L and then your clippings hotkey. This doesn't pull in content. You can also select the note content and hit your clippings hotkey to pull in content.

I haven't figured out a way to get a link to the local Evernote application, however.

This is an Evernote issue. They're great about getting stuff *in* and horrible about getting stuff out.

Because of the lack of connection between Omnifocus and Evernote, I have reduced my use of Evernote to non-project related clippings. If the clipping relates to a project, I just select the text and/or other media I want to save, and drag it from the browser to Omnifocus on the dock.

This saves the clipping and also the URL for the page to the inbox, and then when I process my inbox I assign it to the appropriate project and context, and assign dates as needed.

I use Firefox, so the clipping command key doesn't work. I've looked at the other solutions for FF here on the forum, but for me, its just as easy to drag clippings to the dock, especially since I get the URL along with the clipping. I do use the mail script and CTRL+C command key for transferring mail messages, or portions thereof, to the OF inbox. John

Last edited by jbkendrick; 2009-04-04 at 03:10 AM..

Evernote clipping is great and, as an application it's cool for general notes/ journal data that relate to a variety of areas of responsibility. However, the lack of ability to get notes out limits it somewhat.

However, OmniOutliner is great for notes relating to specific projects so I have an OO document in the notes for each of my projects and store a variety of meeting notes, thoughts, etc in there. I use OO to 'flesh' out projects. I can access the OO file via quick look and it provides a fairly 'complete' system.

@Finlay Boo - interesting concept. Do you use OO standard or pro and if pro, can you provide any insight into the advantages? How do you get your OO document into the project, just drag the file in after creating it outside of OF? And how to you handle searching for note information, since OF will presumably not look in linked files. Thanks, John

Last edited by jbkendrick; 2009-04-04 at 09:24 AM..

I use pro but I can't honestly remember if that would provide me any distinct advantages over the standard version in terms of how I use it. I also tend to add OO documents as linked files, to duplicating matter on my filesystem. As for searching, I guess I've just learned to love Spotlight again, which searches both OF and OO documents (and Evernote, for that matter)

@Finlay Boo - thanks for the reply and information. Didn't think about spotlight, though that wouldn't help with iPhone searches, I am probably pushing the envelope there and can always just wait to get back to the office for a deeper search. It is not needed that often. I would imagine that Quicksilver searches would work as well. Thanks again for the great idea on using the Outliner, I'll give it a try and see if it works with my workflow. John

There is a great script linked here that creates a project notes folder and/or an OO project file linked to an OmniFocus project. I use this all the time with OOP and I consider it to be the most useful 3rd party script available for OF.

@Greg Jones That script is great...good find! It's ideal for how I like to work with and maintain my project data within the file system. Thanks.