The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

"Mark all items read" -- why has this never worked? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I'm not a heavy RSS user. I don't need anything fancy like NetNewsWire, and OmniWeb's basic RSS support seems to be enough for me.

But there's one thing that I find very annoying about it. When I use the Dock menu's "Mark All Items Read" command, the "number of new items" badge on the icon disappears for a flash, then reappears. The stories are indeed gone from the Dock menu, but the badge remains, and now the only way to get rid of it is to quit and restart the program. If OW happens to live in your Dock, you have to quit and restart it TWICE to get it to go away (or remove it from the Dock and re-add it, before starting it back up), because in that case it won't get rid of the badge until you quit.

To be clear, I'm talking about the "Mark All Items Read" command in the main Dock menu, not the individual ones in the submenus for each site. I can't remember if those ones work or not, because generally the main one is the one I want.

When I first started using OW 5.0, I thought "okay, bit of a bug here, I'm sure it'll be sorted in the next update." But update after update failed to fix it, and here we are on version 5.5 (b3), and it's still happening. This is baffling to me. How hard can it be to sort this out?

One other little request. I wish there was a way to set how often RSS feeds are updated by default. The overall preference for "check sites for changes" is not the place I want to specify this, because I don't want it checking *all* bookmarks for changes. I just wish I could tell it to make RSS feeds update every hour by default. Can't find a way to do that without making it check every bookmark every hour.