The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Identifying Start and Due Date columns Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Start and Due Date columns seem to be working well (though a little hungry for horizontal space).

The only difficulty is identifying where they are and which field is which. Perhaps a yellow label when the cursor hovers over them ?

I've been playing with the date columns quite a bit and as Rob pointed out, with them displayed, horizontal space gets a bit tight. I suspec that when column width is adjustable this problem will be a tad irksome.

One would assume that with such a feature we might see some visual indication of the column bounds when the mouse is in the vicinity (something in addition to the standard one dimensional resize cursor).

I've really been thinking about the date display in general. The date and time (can) fields have a plethora of display options, and Omni has done some really neat stuff with it themselves. I'd like to see that control (and configurability) extended to the date columns.

Personally, I'd like to see more naturalistic dates: Today, Tomorrow, Friday, Monday, 2 Weeks, Yesterday, etc.

I already emailed Omni with a suggestion for relative dates (and I'm sure I wasn't the first to do so), and I've been getting on their case (sorry Ken) about the damn columns.

In my view there's too little clarity about which column is which but—perversely—too much feedback where it is not needed. Why, for example, have a clock icon beside the time slot? Using the same logic, there should be a calendar icon beside each date field. The clock icon simply wastes horizontal space for no gain in comprehension. And why do I need to see the icons for time, flag and attachment flash up when I mouse over the text at the left-hand end of the row? On my screen this is a full hand-span away from where my attention is directed and yet I am distracted by items which do not interest me at that moment.

But then when I am actually looking for the date slots for a project I have to use psychic powers to divine where they are and to identify which is which. Why not provide column headings? It would conserve horizontal space and absolve the poor user from having to keep this stuff in their own precious RAM.

I'm told that there is a problem with column headers because the columns aren't consistently in a straight line all the way down. But this just raises the question, why not? OmniOutliner does a fine and elegant job of aligning columns, even with indented rows.

Also, tabular presentation can be tighter and more economical of space by using a lightweight grid. It helps the eye to separate items and removes some of the burden of brainwork required to comprehend at a glance.

Last edited by coconino; 2007-06-03 at 08:46 AM..

I've also mentioned this elsewhere -- I'd like the ability to change the format on a column by column basis, so I can change dates and time to display in a compressed font.

And I too, wish there was some indication of which column was which. How about the good old column titles at the top of the window? I'd prefer that to the ghost images on every row -- and that gives us a place to grab to re-size columns.

--Liz

I like the current method of indication, I have to say. I'm fine with the 'ghosting' as opposed to set columns with headers. It feels, uh, sexy or something... well, it comes at you nicely... :o)

I would like the ghosting to include the two date columns, 'start' and 'due' however.

And the default width is too narrow for dates to be displayed on one line, which looks klutzy.

And...while we're on this topic, are there any plans for repeating tasks and projects? There's no obvious way to identify it in the inspector.

And...in the inspector when you set a review time, it isn't acknowledged at all...