The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Compatibility with Yahoo Mail 2.0 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I'm a HUGE fan of OmniWeb and also Yahoo Mail. Unfortunatley, I sometimes have to use Safari (insert eye-rolling emoticon here) to enjoy Yahoo Mail's 2.0 features which are pretty darn great.

When I log into my online Yahoo Mail account I get kicked back into the OLD Yahoo Mail which stinks and is so '98.

The error page says that the new Yahoo features are only compatible or available with Safari, Firefox and some other browsers...sooo my main question is, are you, The Omni Peoples, in plans to have OW compatible with YM?

Or is that something Yahoo deals with, just letting the fashionable, mass-consumer browsers in on there tech.

Please let us know, I and Im sure other OW fans would love to use YM with OW!

Thanks! ;o)

Use the site settings and pretend you're safari 3.

FYI OW uses the same rendering engine as Safari (WebKit), in the same way Camino does Firefox (Gecko).

The problem is Yahoo's - OmniWeb is fully compatible with their webmail, but because Yahoo is doing something stupid with their browser sniffing (they are apparently sniffing the browser name rather than its rendering engine), they are reporting that OmniWeb is not compatible. Hence the need to fake as Safari for the site to make it function properly.

If you haven't used the site specific preferences feature of OmniWeb before, this is how to spoof as Safari at yahoo.com:

1. Visit the yahoo page, then press command-I (or click the Site Preferences button if you have it in your toolbar). A panel will appear at the bottom of the screen with two main tabs across the top, Page Info and Preferences for yahoo.com

2. Under the Other tab in the Preferences for yahoo.com tab, choose Safari 3.1.1 from the Identify to web servers and scripts as: menu. Then reload the page and you should now get the Yahoo Mail 2.0 features.

Thanks JKT and neurobashing!

That walk through JKT was easy to follow, thanks for taking the time to help!

I didnt see Safari 311 but rather Safari 3.0.4. and I chose that thinking it might not work and IT DID!

Very cool tip, hope it comes in handy for others. And I thought I was an OW pro...! :oP

Thanks again! :oD

No problem - the Safari 3.1.1 is available to me as I am using the 5.8 sneakypeeks. I'll take a guess and say that you are still using 5.7?

Personally, I would use the 5.8 sps (unless they start crashing on you all over the place). I haven't had too many issues with its stability, and as it is based on a newer version of WebKit, it will be the most compatible with Yahoo Mail (and other sites).