The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I like OW because… Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using Safari for a couple of days, and there are a few things I like about it, and lots of things I like about OW.

Safari:
it's quicker than OW. I realise though that the extra features in OW can slow it down, so the question is, can we turn off in preferences some of those features that slow it down?

the Find feature is great. I've used the Hilite script in OW but it's still not as functional as Safari's Find.

OmniWeb:
general object filtering and site-specific filtering. wonderful, although it might be one of the things slowing it down (even though there are only 4 rules in my filter list).

URL auto-completion. with Safari, I have to remember the beginning of the URL. with OW, I can type anything from the URL, its title or its comments, and OW will list the matches for me. it would be nicer though if some relevance could be brought into the list that pops up.

Form completion. with Safari, if you fill out a form, jump to another page and come back again, the form is empty. you have to begin from scratch. with OW, the form data is still there when you come back. cool!

Keychain. with Safari, you have to begin typing something in the fields before it remembers to see if a match exists in the keychains. OW remembers as soon as the page loads. the only negative about this is that OW asks for the keychain password even if the page/tab loading is a background tab. an improvement might be to delay the password dialog until the tab is brought to the front.

Text field-in-a-window for more convenient data entry, and with the added bonus of Search/Replace, even with grep!! (I could use it right now to replace the < and > characters I've mistakenly used instead of the [ and ] characters)

Shortcuts. I have custom ones for Google, my bank urls…
site-specific download and security preferences.
tabs in the sidebar
workspaces

unfortunately, OW in addition to being slower has a couple of quirks. there are times when it pauses for up to 2 seconds before responding to a click or a drag or even a keystroke. there are times when it spontaneously sends the cursor to the end of the text field that you're typing in (and this has been going on for months!). and it crashes more than it should.

however, free upgrades for life for one price? that's unreasonable. to require payment wouldn't work though because Safari, Opera and FF are free. the OW group should therefore probably accept donations for their continued work. they won't get much but some of us will pay to show our appreciation for the great browser that OW is (or could be).

OR... the OW team could (and should) implement the referrer parameter in the Google searches (and other search engines) to earn returns for their work.

cheers,
Gregory

ftr, I'm using Safari at the moment. I want to see if it slows down or crashes the way OW has been slowing down and crashing under the same work load. so far, it's much more stable having only crashed twice while displaying Apple's own (Final Cut Express tutorials) page!!!

Last edited by Gregory; 2008-07-29 at 06:50 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
spontaneously sends the cursor to the end of the text field that you're typing in (and this has been going on for months!).
Yeah, that's really annoying!

Quote:
OR... the OW team could (and should) implement the referrer parameter in the Google searches (and other search engines) to earn returns for their
This is a great idea and I would be more than happy to support it.

Quote:
there are times when it spontaneously sends the cursor to the end of the text field that you're typing in (and this has been going on for months!). and it crashes more than it should.
Yes this has been killing me for a long long time i wish this bug was fixed once and for all.

Crashing? Hrm, I don't have OW crash on me very often. Even with sneaky peaks I rarely crash, a search of my mail box shows 13 crash reports in two years. I have Plugins, Java disabled globally, I usually have Javascript, cookies, all images disabled and full adblocking 90% of the time plus a custom style sheet with extensive blocking. From experience most crashes in any browser are JavaScript or plugin related.

I use site preferences extensively.

Quote:
Keychain. with Safari, you have to begin typing something in the fields before it remembers to see if a match exists in the keychains. OW remembers as soon as the page loads. the only negative about this is...
No, there's another negative for me, and it's a killer - I visit some sites for which I have multiple accounts (user-level, administrator, test account, etc.) and OW seems to use the first alphabetical match. It makes the feature an anti-feature because, unlike Safari, if I start typing one of the others, it won't automatically switch to those credentials. So I have to select, retype, etc., making the Keychain matching unusable for me, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcayenne View Post
I have multiple accounts (user-level, administrator, test account, etc.) and OW seems to use the first alphabetical match. It makes the feature an anti-feature because, unlike Safari…
cool! I didn't know about that function. for most places, I only have one account but there are a couple of places where I have two or more accounts and being able to choose the login account to use at the time would be nice, rather than manually opening Keychain Access, finding the key and copying it over...

I've been using Safari with most of my regular tabs for more than a week. Safari has been rock solid; no crashes, no delays, no pauses, no cursor-off-to-the-right, no... but I miss OW's ad-filtering and URL lookup (OW matches strings from URL, title and comment) and a couple of other things. it'd be nice if OW could squash the problems. the crashes and pauses/delays really bug me.

today while browsing one site, Safari reported that one of the scripts was going to cause the computer to slow down, and asked if I wanted to abort it. I said 'yes'. does OW have this functionality, to recognise cpu-greedy scripts and squash them?

cheers,
Gregory

Because it works!