The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Possibility to choose tabs in old style Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsw
As for the argument that "time is better spent elsewhere", I disagree. Can anyone come up with something that affects a larger number of current or potential users (those who consider this the single block to their adopting OW)?
The rest of your post is highly confrontational. This part relates to something I brought up, so I'll answer it.

What affects a larger number of users? The JavaScript garbage collection issue. It has the potential to affect every single OW user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
The rest of your post is highly confrontational. This part relates to something I brought up, so I'll answer it.
Agreed. However, I was responding to something that I felt was highly confrontational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
What affects a larger number of users? The JavaScript garbage collection issue. It has the potential to affect every single OW user.
Good example. I'm perfectly fine with valid examples of more important issues to focus on.

What I'm not fine with is those who frame this as an "either-or" debate, where one system MUST be the only way to do it. It's pretty clear that a large number of people like tabs as they are in OmniWeb, and a large number of people like them as they are in every other application. Sounds like something that should be (and should have always been) a preference. Finally, it's something Omni could continue to add its own flavor and spin to, once again taking something others have done and making it better.

How many users do you think have looked at OmniWeb, seen the lack of "normal" tabs and simply trashed it and moved on? It's hard to argue that OW users aren't aware of tabs - as a paid browser, I would expect it would attract more experienced users, who have likely used tabs extensively elsewhere.

I've been wanting to use OmniWeb since Mac OS X 10.0. At first it was the rendering engine that kept me away. Despite the herculean efforts of Omni, there was just no way they could keep up with the evolution of web standards. OmniWeb 5/5.1 brought in a fresh facelift and WebKit under the hood; I bought it and I really, really want to use it. But I can't sacrifice that much screen space for a handful of tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Contrived? Absolutely not. Every single point I made is something I need from my tabs. Look, I am constantly moving between a lot of tabs (and I mean tens to hundreds spread over many Workspaces) so I do need to be able to see what is in each of them, I do need to be able to access each of them as quickly as I can. So I do care about each and every one of those points I made and the fact that the vertical thumbnail tabs solves each and every one of them for me is great.
When my wife moved to Mac OS X, I tried to put her on Safari at first. Standard, included with the OS, etc. Unfortunately, she quickly exceeded it. While I may only open a handful of tabs, she opens hundreds and hundreds - and quickly brought Safari to its knees. My next attempt was to put her on OmniWeb, both due to its handling of massive numbers of tabs and its session restoring features. Unfortunately, she has an iBook. OmniWeb is simply unusable on such a system - too many sites require 800 or 1024 pixel-wide screens, and it made browsing too difficult. Finally, I gave up on OS integration and put her on Firefox 2.0 with Flashblock. She loves it, and I sigh as things like keychain integration, native UI, and other things that make the Mac the Mac go unused. If she had a widescreen, she'd be on OmniWeb in a heartbeat.

For me, a tab bar just wastes space. With a handful of tabs, either you have a big chunk of unused whitespace, or a bunch of thumbnails. Those thumbnails don't do me any good when each is a different forum page I opened in tabs, or a bunch of MacUpdate pages. Even when they are distinct, I want to focus on the page I'm on, not a bunch of maybe-colorful thumbnails. But it's that, waste a lot of space, or simply not use OmniWeb, and then lose out of all of the other features.

As you can tell, it drives me bonkers. :) I wouldn't complain so bitterly if I didn't desperately want to use OmniWeb.

I don't think I have said in this thread anywhere that OmniGroup shouldn't add normal tabs (and for those people still using 1024x768 resolutions I do see the desire for it).

I'll say it once more so that it is clear. My 2nd and 3rd posts to this thread were in response to the BS comment that the vertical thumbnail tabs are an inferior interface that shouldn't have been developed when they quite patently are not (and in very many respects are a much superior interface). It is the equivalent of having someone tell me I shouldn't use a Mac because Windows is better.

FWIW, if your wife is using FF, then she might like to get the Tab Mix Plus and Tab Catalog (sic) add-ons. The latter is an OK-ish alternative to having always visible thumbnails (I think it mimics the IE7 method of displaying all tabs, but I haven't used IE7 to know for sure). If it ever gets updated, the OmniWeb style tab sidebar was from an Add-on called Tab Sidebar, but it is incompatible with FF2 (and it is also inferior to the OmniWeb tabs as it doesn't render them in as high a quality as OmniWeb making them less easy to distinguish).

Well, OmniWeb Tab, yeah I like it. But, that's really good thing if OmniWeb can have several ways to show tabs. I think this is really important thing, because I know lots people which stopped to use OmniWeb because of this tab style. So If you have a backup make them brainwashing, you can have them. Like "Be prepared and have no regrets.". Oh well, I like the style... you know. :D

I HATE thumbnail tabs, and never use them simply because A u can't even read what's in them any way an two they take up way to much space which forces you to scroll yet another part of the UI if you have many tabs. Its simply a dumb idea it reminds me of a Microsoft thing of copying a cool idea an implementing it in a bonheaded way just to pretend they never copied it. What else is dumb about the draw, well on widescreen Powerbook it obscures completely my ichat window which is perched on one side of the display since OW takes up most of the screen it cant be placed anywhere else, 2) i close the dumb draw so i can see what else it going on then i create a new tab in OW an then the draw opens again. This browser is constantly antagonizing me with that damn draw, i wish the stubborn developers would give us horizontal tabs like other browsers as an option.

That way we can have back the logical key commands of 'Page Arrow Up/Down' to scroll instantly to/bottom of pages instead of the stupid 'function key' left/right which we are currently forced to use as default. OW forces tab switching using Command Up/Down CRAZEE!!!! If we get horizontal tabs we can have the more logical Command+Shift Arrow Left/Right to cycle between tabs like Safari.

OW is far better than any othe rbrowser on the planet except their Tab design and the URL AutoComplete and the lack of Offline cache browsing (while a net connection is not available). Sort those things out then move on to other improvements.enhancments...this sheet is critical right now.

to my own opinion, omniweb should do consider to provide user with a way to switch back to oldstyle tabbar. :cool:

pros
- somehow eye-candy.
- mouse-over effects on tabs... page title with detailed address

cons
- slow on some old mac, und sometimes a dozen thumbnails rendered at the same time is very resource intensive.
- take up precious browsing space, which will do have bad effects for wider webpage on smaller screen
- Every time load a new tab while browsing will active the tabbar automatically, which I do not find a way to disable. and really annoy me sometimes.

what if learn a lesson from opera, switch between tabs using keystroke with thumbnails, page title etc. In this case user would not use tabbar at all, this saves a lot browsing space indeed.

Last edited by seenxu; 2007-02-26 at 01:33 PM..