The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General list implementation (book lists, etc) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The one thing I really missed from kGTD is the ability to have random lists included in the main document (books to read, etc). This was handy for several reasons, not least that it enabled you to process items very quickly to the list since it's part of your overall planning document anyway.

List implementation in OF:
  1. Create a singleton bucket for your desired category ("Books to read", "Movies to watch", etc.)
  2. Set the status of your singleton bucket to "On hold"
  3. Add items to your list
  4. When you're ready to actually do something from the list, simply move it to an active project
I'd be curious to know what other implementations people are using. Thoughts?

In general I've tried to move to keeping my "to read", "to listen to" etc. lists in OmniOutliner documents, not in OmniFocus, since they are almost invariably more than a single action.

Exceptions to this are things like "listen to samples of band xyz in iTunes" where I'm just sampling media for later download.

I do have a couple "media quick lists" that are singletons lists where I've been dumping stuff into the project notes, but this is probably not best practice.

I see what you mean, Ethan, and I have been using text files for the same thing. The problem is that I don't consult said lists often enough, so although I know I have the list floating around, it's often not at my fingertips (I don't sync my Treo enough to have it with me all the time either).

And though reading a book certainly involves more than one step, I would treat it more like a 'taskproject' moving through my workflow, not a set of discrete tasks to accomplish. For example:
  • War and Peace lives in my theoretical booklist for a while
  • When I make my selection, I move it to an actionable context (likely a Single Action List) and rename. It becomes Get War and Peace at Library @Errands
  • When I pick it up, I rename/recontextualize it to Read War and Peace @Anywhere.
There it lives in peace until it's checked off as done.

And while I don't get the satisfaction of marking numerous tasks complete, there's something satisfying about the flow of a single database entity from my book list all the way to Done.

I posted a pretty detailed overview of how I handle these things in another thread.

Basically, I do keep these lists in OF so that they're available when I'm at the video store with my wife and wondering what to rent, or when I'm out of books and find myself near a library with some time to kill.

If I deliberately set out to buy a book or watch a certain film, I'll turn that into a project or action or something.

As you point out, it's nice having it all in one place.

On the other hand, there's plenty of good reasons to keep it elsewhere. I do have tons of other lists in OOP or text files or whatnot that are not really errand/location based.

I made a list context and marked it as inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyler View Post
The one thing I really missed from kGTD is the ability to have random lists included in the main document (books to read, etc). This was handy for several reasons, not least that it enabled you to process items very quickly to the list since it's part of your overall planning document anyway.

List implementation in OF:
  1. Create a singleton bucket for your desired category ("Books to read", "Movies to watch", etc.)
  2. Set the status of your singleton bucket to "On hold"
  3. Add items to your list
  4. When you're ready to actually do something from the list, simply move it to an active project
I'd be curious to know what other implementations people are using. Thoughts?
i tried migrating my OO lists into OF at first, but it was just a mess, so now they are back in OO. i don't actively use those lists anyway (they are mostly "things to buy someday/maybe"). i don't keep project notes or anything like that in OF either -- that's why we have a fileystem and different filetypes and various applications specially suited for manipulating those files. i don't really enjoy using OF (it's pretty good at what it does but i wouldn't say i ever look forward to interacting with it), so i don't tend to look for ways to shove more stuff into it.

Quote:
I see what you mean, Ethan, and I have been using text files for the same thing. The problem is that I don't consult said lists often enough, so although I know I have the list floating around, it's often not at my fingertips (I don't sync my Treo enough to have it with me all the time either).
I would handle this by creating a recurring task to review my lists, with a link to the actual list file in the notes field. With Path Finder, it's easy to copy a file path in URL format; I paste that into the OF notes field and I'm good to go.

I wrote, "I would handle this," because I haven't done it yet....

Quote:
And though reading a book certainly involves more than one step, I would treat it more like a 'taskproject' moving through my workflow, not a set of discrete tasks to accomplish.
if it's a novel or casual reading - I won't create a set of discrete tasks (in fact, it doesn't really show up in my system at the moment but I like the idea of putting it into a single-action list bucket that is "on hold" - I, too, am for having one system and having movies for reference while at the rental shop)

however, if it is a book that is a key resource to forward a project, it will be represented as discrete tasks - I just broke a 3 books down today (in fact, one of them was Ready for Anything :) into their major parts. I find seeing and gauging progress esp if it supports a project with a deadline is particularly important!

I tend to put books and movies and music that I want to consume into OmniFocus primarily because of Quick Entry. It's something that's on my brain, something I want to do, and Quick Entry into OmniFocus is the fastest way to get it out of my head.

Once it's in OmniFocus, I suppose I could copy it into an Outliner document when I process my inbox. But sometimes I tidy my inbox on my iPhone, while waiting for the bus. What do I do with it then? For me, my pleasure reading list is in an OmniFocus single action project on hold, because that seems to be the best way to keep it handy but not in the way.

I am a little confused by all of your suggestions, mainly terminology.

What is a singleton bucket?
What is a single action project?