The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alarm behavior... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I wanted to check, in case I am missing something about what is the expected behavior from the task's time.

I get that when I set an alarm, I will get a notification through growl.

The part I don't get, is why there is no way to not add an alarm (unless I missed how). In an ideal scenario for me, I would like by default to not have an alarm, and then be able to set it only when I want it.

Otherwise, since the default alarm it's 12.00am, when I open the application in the morning I get perhaps 20 or 30 notifications, which add no value what so ever given that they all show past due and are way too many to keep track of.

Am i Missing something in how I have set-up or use this feature, or should the Tasks allow for no time (at least as a preference) and then have time be a case by case used when applicable?

Thanks. Martin.

I think it is helpful to not think of the times as alarms. OF isn't a calendar application. Instead, they make more sense if you think of them as notifications. By default, OF asks Growl to notify you about tasks becoming Available, tasks becoming Due Soon, and tasks becoming Overdue. In the System Preferences --> Growl Pref. Pane --> Applications, you can select OmniFocus and adjust which notifications are displayed. Personally, I turned off notifications for Task Due Soon and Task Overdue, for just the reason you give. I still use the Task Available notification, which tells me when the start time for an action has arrived.

Curt

Thanks Curt...

OK. I get it. Personally I think that it makes more sense for the time to be off by default, otherwise I have to set-it for every single task. But eliminating the growl notification for overdue will due - at least partially - the trick.

What I will miss is if I had a notification that I did want to have (perhaps what I miss is support for alarms) and did not open in time the OF app, then I will miss the fact that I am overdue on one particular task that I DID want to be notified...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinchohs View Post
Thanks Curt...

OK. I get it. Personally I think that it makes more sense for the time to be off by default, otherwise I have to set-it for every single task. But eliminating the growl notification for overdue will due - at least partially - the trick.

What I will miss is if I had a notification that I did want to have (perhaps what I miss is support for alarms) and did not open in time the OF app, then I will miss the fact that I am overdue on one particular task that I DID want to be notified...

Thanks!
Being a new OmniFocus user, I'm trying to learn the app; I don't see where you're setting preferences for Growl notifications. Where is that?

Thanks,

Bob P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longterm View Post
Being a new OmniFocus user, I'm trying to learn the app; I don't see where you're setting preferences for Growl notifications. Where is that?

Thanks,

Bob P.
You have to set them from the mac system preferences. Growl it's a service that OF uses, but it's not part of the app it self. Go to system preferences and check at the bottom under the 'Other' area. Hope this helps... Enjoy!