The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beta 4: New search box does not handle newlines properly Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Beta 4 changed the search box behavior, and now if you paste in text that has newlines in it, there are drawing glitches. To see what I mean, simply copy some text containing a newline, paste it into the search box, then hit Return.

I'm not seeing a problem--can you post a screenshot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I'm not seeing a problem--can you post a screenshot?
Here it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NewlineSearchbox.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	93

P

Crazy--we just switched to using the system standard search field so I don't know why it would be like that for you...

What is your system language set to?
What search do you start on (title in the field)?

Quote:
Crazy--we just switched to using the system standard search field so I don't know why it would be like that for you...

US English but my "word break" in International System Preferences is set to "standard".

I normally start with the google search option. I have added many other engines to the list, of course.

I noticed another problem. If the search string is merely long, the text box does not scroll horizontally as you type. As your search string gets longer, the cursor and what you type are obscured beyond the border of the text box.

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by philonous
I noticed another problem. If the search string is merely long, the text box does not scroll horizontally as you type. As your search string gets longer, the cursor and what you type are obscured beyond the border of the text box.
Yes, me too!

Quote:
Yep, philonous's screenshot shows exactly what I'm seeing, too.

Quote:
U.S. English, I think.

Quote:
It doesn't seem to matter. Whether the search box is blank or it already has some text, I still get the same result when pasting in text with newlines.

Well--the good news is, I can reproduce the problem--the bad news is, it seems to be apple's bug.

For those of you with the developer tools:
1. create a new nib (with a window)
2. drag out a search field
3. test interface
4. enter foo(Alt-Return)bar
5. hit tab

Exact same problem.

Quote:
Well--the good news is, I can reproduce the problem--the bad news is, it seems to be apple's bug.
Well, as long as we get horizontal scrolling, which you fixed, I'm satisfied. It's not often that one has line breaks in the search field anyway.

P