The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

A vote against the "library" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
First of all, I think OmniFocus is the greatest thing ever, including sliced bread. I would make sandwiches with it if I could.

That said, I'd like to voice a strong vote against the terminology changes implemented in the latest alpha update. Specifically, I think Projects is a far better name for the list of containers on the left side of the interface.

I understand the motivation for changing the name. You the developers now see the left sidebar as containing two things (projects and lists-of-single-actions) so you feel the need come up with an abstraction that covers both entities. From a system-building standpoint, this makes sense.

But what you gain in hierarchy, you lose in clarity. The problem is that you've added a not-that-useful layer of abstraction, which means that instead "the left sidebar contains projects" (which is nice and clear), we now have "the left sidebar contains one of two things..." followed by an explanation. Which is not.

It seems like the justification for all this definition-expansion is the desire to rename singleton projects as lists-of-single-actions. This conceptual splitting necessitates the more ambiguously-named sidebar. Is renaming the Singletons so important as to justify the bulky terminology you're now adding? Is anyone really getting so confused by the concept of Singleton Project that it's worth making everyone else deal with terminology bloat?

Things should be named after their functions. The sidebar contains projects. So call it that! By naming it Library, you introduce a slowdown between glancing at a UI element and understanding what it does. Short-term memory is precious. Don't waste it.

What makes OmniFocus so great that I'm willing to entrust my life to it in alpha form is its simplicity and, well, focus. I say axe the abstraction, return the left sidebar's name to "Projects", and tell the people who are offended by the name singleton project: tough noogies.

Mike

Last edited by MichaelShapiro; 2007-08-31 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: grammar tweak