The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reinstalling from my backup Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am getting a new iPod and will need to restore from my backup that is on my iDisk. How do I restore from it when I connect my new iPod? Or, am I just dreaming that I can do that. I do not have the desktop application.

Correct me if I'm wrong: you had an iPod, ran OmniFocus on it for a while, syncing to MobileMe/iDisk. Something happened to the iPod, and now you've got a new one, and you want to get your database on there? And the iTunes backup of your old device is too old or unavailable, so simply restoring isn't an option?

Assuming I've got that all correct, here's what you need to do:

1) connect to your iDisk from your computer and make a duplicate copy of the database (probably Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus, unless you configured it otherwise). Let's stamp out any possibility of the old "sharp intake of breath and sudden graying of hair" when you discover you've somehow trashed the only copy of your data!

2) install OmniFocus on the new iPod -- should happen automatically if you set it up to sync with the same account in iTunes when you sync

3) now you're going to configure OmniFocus on the iPod. There is a bug in OF 1.5 that can cause some trouble with the first sync, so the steps to be taken here are a bit non-intuitive, particularly the first one.

3.1) Go to the settings page and click Make New Database
3.2) On the settings page, under Synchronization, tap the Nothing button, then select MobileMe for your Synchronization Method. Fill in your username and document path.
3.3) Tap the sync button. Enter your username and password when prompted for them.
3.4) You should get a big warning screen that says your database couldn't be synchronized because the two seem to be totally unrelated. You need to tap the button for Use Server Copy. This will copy the database from MobileMe onto your iPod and replace the database you made above.

At this point, you should be all set!

I just did this whole procedure on my iPod without incident, so I believe the instructions above are good. However, seeing as you might only have one copy of the data, you might want to wait until 10AM PDT tomorrow and call up Omni at 800-315-6664 to have them walk you through it.