The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

URL in Get Info supposed to work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is OW supposed to save the URL in the Spotlight Comments field in a Get Info Dialog in Path Finder or the dumb Finder?

Only very occasionally will i see the URL in the spotlight comments of a get info dialog, 90% of the time it wont tho.

Is this broken or something?

Anything downloaded via the download window should display the url it came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
Anything downloaded via the download window should display the url it came from.
hey tb, I'm using Path Finder not Apple's Finder, I'm not seeing the URL's displayed. Is this a feature to work specifically for Finder? Any way to get this working with Path Finder? Are you using a script to add this?

Thanks

I don't think that should make a difference. The spotlight comments should be the same regardless of the file viewer. Perhaps you could point us at what you're trying to do specifically?

Quote:
Does this mean that URL addresses will appear in the comments box of a image file dragged off the OW screen to the desktop as in OS-9?

James Greenidge

it must go through the download window. try dragging the image to the download window instead of the desktop :)

Quote:
it must go through the download window. try dragging the image to the download window instead of the desktop :)
I know this sounds simpleton but where's the download window, and is it possible in the future to effect the same thing with a command key (maintain URL address in image file comments)?

Thanks and keep up the great work! (why not put up pixs of your offices and staff in your blog - or better yet, an office cam??)

James Greenidge

Command-shift-D to view the downloads window (or select the Window>Downloads menu)

troyb anything im downloading lately with OW, be it a zip, a mp3 a pdf there is no URL anywhere in get info. SP5

Update just downloaded in the latest Safari Beta as well, same thing NO URL in get info anywhere.

I have completely replaced Finder with Path Finder now using the following procedure:

0. Make sure that you are not trying to automatically launch PF on bootup via system preferences or anything. Also disable the "Quit Finder on Path Finder start" option in PF.
1. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices, and move Finder.app out of the way. DO NOT delete it, as you'll need it during software updates.
2. Move Path Finder.app to this directory and rename it to Finder.app
3. Navigate inside of the PF bundle, and edit the PkgInfo file inside of the "Contents" folder. Change it to "FNDRMACS" (no quotes, obviously).
4. Run check disk permissions and reboot (logout isn't good enough).

Not sure now if this is the Latest Safari&Webkit&OWSP5 issue or Path Finder now my real Finder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon View Post
troyb anything im downloading lately with OW, be it a zip, a mp3 a pdf there is no URL anywhere in get info. SP5

Update just downloaded in the latest Safari Beta as well, same thing NO URL in get info anywhere.

I have completely replaced Finder with Path Finder now using the following procedure:

0. Make sure that you are not trying to automatically launch PF on bootup via system preferences or anything. Also disable the "Quit Finder on Path Finder start" option in PF.
1. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices, and move Finder.app out of the way. DO NOT delete it, as you'll need it during software updates.
2. Move Path Finder.app to this directory and rename it to Finder.app
3. Navigate inside of the PF bundle, and edit the PkgInfo file inside of the "Contents" folder. Change it to "FNDRMACS" (no quotes, obviously).
4. Run check disk permissions and reboot (logout isn't good enough).

Not sure now if this is the Latest Safari&Webkit&OWSP5 issue or Path Finder now my real Finder.
Is there any solution here, Im on 5.8 now an still nothing downloaded via the DL Manager saves a URL in ANY field in the Comments of a Get Info Dialog. Again I use Path Finder, it has replaced Finder.app from CoreServices a detailed above.